Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jcurtis

jcurtis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Pro firewall and PC Tools Spyware Doctor. Do I really need Windows Defender? WD seems to hog resources and I'm no sure if it's worth it. Thanks for you advice ...

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 October 2007 - 09:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

Probably not since you have SpywareDoctor but WD uses no where near the resources as SD.

If your not familiar with everything WD does, here are some links to read:
"Windows Defender Overview"
"How does Windows Defender work?"
"How Windows Defender identifies spyware"
"How to use Windows Defender Software Explorer"
"Manage startup programs in Vista using Windows Defenderís Software Explorer"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jcurtis

jcurtis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, I'll check these links ... jcurtis

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

Your welcome.

#5 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

Personally I prefer Spybot S&D over WD. It's not that WD doesn't do a good job but you don't need more than one or 2 tools for malware if you use your computer sensibly. I run AVG Free, Spybot, and if I need another one I'll Ad-Aware.

Does the trick for me.

#6 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

You have enough good protection Windows defender can however detect harmful changes. I have the same protection you have until I had to uninstall SD because of a corrupted license. It's a good anti-spyware though :thumbsup:

Edited by ///, 31 March 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#7 TheNerd

TheNerd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

It definitely shouldn't hurt to run Windows Defender but I don't think it's good enough to only rely on it without anything else.

#8 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:10 AM

It definitely shouldn't hurt to run Windows Defender but I don't think it's good enough to only rely on it without anything else.

I use CCleaner with Defender and Aviria free. I just am very careful with Email. At this moment I am in Ibex w/no installed anything. 30 gig partition in Vista 32 bit.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#9 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

yes spybot-sd is really great and even malwarebytes anti-malware does a great job, windows defender is equal to them so i dont use it, am i correct?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

#11 koolkat

koolkat

• Banned
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

:inlove: WD does use up a lot of juice but the benefits of using WD do outweigh the bad.

:trumpet: I personally find it a must to have on your PC, however there are other products just as good.

SuperAntiSpyware,Malwarebytes & AdAware will also get the job done and are free. :woot:

I still recommend AdAware :flowers: but I agree with quietman7 Spybot S&D :thumbsup: is starting to look very undesirable with too many false positives ,lack of a more thorough scanner and incompatibility issues with other AV,AS,AM software. Also I find TeaTimer very annoying.

:) In case you didn't know PC Tools Spyware Doctor & Zone Alarm Pro firewall use up way more juice than WD.
This is really your problem not WD.

Zone Alarm is also extremely difficult to uninstall if you should change your mind on it.I think there are guides here to
show you how to uninstall it.

Keep Norton & WD . Uninstall or at least disable PC Tools Spyware Doctor & Zone Alarm Pro firewall if you want more juice.

PC Tools Spyware Doctor is still very good to have but only use it when you need it.

If you need another firewall , you can try Comodo firewall (free) or you may have to buy another AV product with a firewall.
Also keep in mind you should only have 1 firewall.

Edited by koolkat, 23 May 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#12 sachin naik

sachin naik

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

The top 5 anti-spyware softwares are as follows
1) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
2) Super Anti-Spyware
3) Spybot-Search & Destroy
4) Spyware Blaster
5) Windows Defender

The top 5 anti-virus softwares are as follows
1) Avast
2) Avira
3) Nortan/Symantec
4) NOD 32
5) AVG

The top 5 Firrewalls
1) Router with software firewall
2) Windows firewall
3) Zone alarm
4) Comondo
5) Online Armour

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

Comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

#14 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

Kaspersky Internet Security/Anti-virus has excellent detection ratings when it comes to detection. I would definately recommend this.

#15 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

I had been thinking about disabling Windows Defender for a long time as it literally never seemed to have any detections. After my normal demand scans a while back with Avira, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware which were all clean I ran a full scan with Windows Defender and it popped up with several detections.

As quietman7 has indicated "No single product is 100% foolproof". I will continue to run Windows Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users