Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing A Compatible Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smileyghost

smileyghost

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

Hi all, i believe my graphics card has died and im after a new one. However my pc is now 3 years old and so im guessing choosing a compatible card will be tricky. i really dont know what factors i need to consider from my current set up when choosing a card so i was hoping i could get some help. Here is my current core spec:

425w HiperPower Power Supply Unit
AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ CPU
Asus K8V VIA K8T800 Motherboard
1Gb (2 x 512 Mb) Corsair Value Select PC2700 DDR Memory
256MB XFX GeForce 6800 GT DDR3 Graphics Card - DEAD
160Gb Hitachi Deskstar Hard Drive

i know i could just get another 6800 but seeing as this card is very old now, if i could possibly get something better but still compatible then that would be great

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

That motherboard uses the the AGP X8 slot for graphics cards. I'd say you might as well get something better then a 6800 if thats what your old card was. What is your price range? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....ame=AGP+4X%2f8X That is the page with all the compatible cards for your motherboard. If you need help finding one, just post back saying how much you want to spend.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 nadonate

nadonate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

Direct X is a consideration, do you plan on upgrading your pc soon? Spending $200.00 or more on a dx9 card seems rash to me...

#4 smileyghost

smileyghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

hey thanks for the replys, with agp in mind i decided to go for a Sapphire X1650 PRO 512Mb.

Direct X is a consideration, do you plan on upgrading your pc soon? Spending $200.00 or more on a dx9 card seems rash to me...

Well i was going to wait for the 9 series from nvidia before doing an all out upgrade seeing as thats apparantly out in a few months and supposebly 3 times faster than the 8800. In the mean time i need something to keep my pc going and the x1650 only cost me 60 - was the cheapest card i could find that isnt worse than my old one.

Edited by smileyghost, 07 October 2007 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users