Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Restart Instead Of Shut Down Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 badomen111

badomen111

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hi

I have a HP lap top that when you shut down it just reboots...

It only does it when the power cable is plugged in, is there a fix for this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Wow, that's odd. Are you shutting down by following this procedure: Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off ? If you are not, please do.

If you are, go to the command line and type this to shut down: shutdown -s -t 00

Post what happens when you try the command line.

Edited by Sagacity83, 06 October 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#3 badomen111

badomen111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

With power cord in its shuts down then restarts.

Without power cord in it shuts down correctly.

I don't have Roxion(or something similar) Easy CD maker installed either.

#4 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

I didn't ask if you had Roxio installed on your computer.

Did you try to shutdown using the command line ? if so what happened ?
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#5 badomen111

badomen111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

Yeah sorry that was the results of using "shutdown -s -t 00" on the command line

As for the Roxio comment, thats for anyone else reading this. There a well documented problem with this software and this very issue (not sure if it shares the fact that the power cords in affecting the shutdown process)

So running the shutdown script from the command line has same affect as just trying the Start-> Turn off computer -> Shutdown command

Thanks for your help so far

Edited by badomen111, 06 October 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#6 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

Oh Ok, I understand now. I did some exploring about the Roxio problem that you were talking about, and even though you're problem is not with Roxio, it could be BSOD problem. So do the following:

Go to Start > Run and type eventvwr. In the left pane, Click on "System" and look for an error that occurred around the time of your laptop restarting (instead of shutting down). If you find any, Double click the error and highlight everything in the Description pane. Press Ctrl+C (copy) and paste the error message in the next post.

That message (if there is one) could help us solve the Power cable restart problem. Or you could just not Shutdown while the Power cable is plugged in.

Edited by Sagacity83, 06 October 2007 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users