Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Finding Some Lost Files!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 volante

volante

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

*I'm not computer saavvy so please forgive me if I have a hard time describing my problem*

Hey everyone, recently my computer crashed (HP with Windows XP) and I had to reboot my computer, luckily my computer retained most of my files (everything in My Documents, and the HP PAVILLION (C:) etc etc). However, I had a substantial amount of files (mostly media, music) stored in a file on my desktop and as I had worried/expected the file was gone and all of its contents. Now heres where it gets tricky.

My hard drive right now is missing about ~60 gigs which roughly corresponds to the missing data! It says I have about 18 gigs of space left when I should have closer to 80.

I tried running a search for the missing files but the Windows search only goes through the standard folders like My documents etc. It's as if the files are there but there is no file path and they are just floating around in my hard drive somewhere inaccessible.

Is there anyway I can get these files back (without paying $70 for some lame file recovery program) or at the very least get my HD space bacK?

Any help appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

You could try Recuva.

#3 volante

volante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

Nadda on the Recuva. Didn't retrieve much of anything really. Most of those programs seem geared more towards people who have accidentally deleted files from their hard drive. I didnt really recycle anything and my HD still detects the files being there as evidence from the missing space (to the tune of about 60 gigs) which is NOT being overwritten to my knowledge.

Its baffled me really. 60 gigs shouldnt just disappear...

Edited by volante, 05 October 2007 - 10:17 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Have you tried a search with wildcards as the names may be corrupt. Example in search box type *.mp3 or other audio extention *.wav etc.

Some more file finding suggestions are here,it's in pdf format
Find Lost Files and Folders

btw Welcome to bleepingcomputer

Edited by boopme, 05 October 2007 - 10:36 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 volante

volante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Good idea and I tried it, but no luck. :thumbsup: I think if they were accessible through the search I would have found them (were talking like 70,000 files, kinda hard to miss) so I dont think I'm going to find them through conventional (search) means.

#6 Lotsableeps

Lotsableeps

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:41 PM

You should try Getdataback from Runtime Software. It's good, and it'll let you dl the free version and search, then only pay if it finds something you want to recover. A lot of pros use it. There's a version for fat32 partitions and another for ntfs, you probably need the latter. BTW, you shouldn't use the system / drive you are wanting to look for lost data files on, because the normal course of using windows and programs will overwrite some of the lost files with other stuff.

Edited by Lotsableeps, 05 October 2007 - 11:45 PM.

#7 volante

volante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

See everyone keeps on telling me that it would over write the files but that doesnt seem to make sense to me since my hard drive still recognizes the space is being used. Its not as if I've recycled something and deleted it. Usually when you delete a file the hard drive will recognize the freed up space.

If it is possible that these files can be overwritten than there is little hope, as I lost these files over a month ago.

I'll try getdataback though. Thanks!

Edited by volante, 06 October 2007 - 12:09 AM.

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hello volante,

Try using SequoiaView, a free utility that will display a "picture" of all the files on your hard drive so you can see what files are consuming a lot of space. This will also show you where the files are located, and you might be able to find all the files that have seemingly disappeared.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Before you run SequoiaView, just to make sure, click Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View (tab) and:

1. Check (enable) "Show hidden files and folders"
2. Uncheck (clear) "Hide extensions for known file types"
3. Uncheck (clear) "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

Then click "Apply", "OK".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users