Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6800 Ultra Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nadonate

nadonate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I have had the best results resolving performance issues by using google and rarely resort to actually posting. I am stumped and frustrated with this problem and have exhausted my knowledge. Any help would be very appreciated, and I apologize in advance if this thread is in the wrong section or somehow I missed a similar solution when I search your threads.

System information:
Hardware

GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard with most recent chipset drivers and bios
1 gig memory 1 stick (crucial technologies)
nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra driver version 6.14.11 (9.17.2007)
Amd Athlon 64 3200+
500 Watt Ultra X-connect PS
120 Gig Maxtor PATA slave
200 Gig Maxtor PATA
Samsung PATA cdrw
Samsung SATA Dvdrw
Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PCI adapter WG311t

Software

Trend Micro pc-cillin internet security suite 2007
Daemon Tools Virtual disc manager
Common components- java,flash,nero,photoshop,itunes,msoffice,winamp, etc...
Windows XP professional SP 2
Current configuration: Master HD is divided into 4 partitions, 30gig for system files, 4gig for backupfiles, 4gig for swap file (1500-2980 allocated), the remaining is used for storage along with the 120gig.

Here's the problem, my computer will crash randomly when I am playing games. I have steam and Half-life2 episode 1, which won't even load. I don't get an error message from windows, I don't get an error message from the game I am playing. When it reboots, I see a blue system screen flash for like .5 seconds, which prolly has the particular error.

failed troubleshooting methods

My first instinct was a driver issue, I uninstalled the games, rollback my nvidia drivers, install the games again, disabling my virus protection. Same issue.

I removed the 6800 along with my memory, cleaned the contacts, cleaned the case to ensure proper air flow, reseated my x-connect cables into the 6800 (requires 2 seperate individual 12v rails).

Tested my memory using memtest. No issues.

Reduced the number of active processes running while I run my game type program.

I am baffled, please help, I would really rather not reformat!!

Notes

I started seeing problems after a recent reformat, I had a virus before I picked up trend micro, instead of sorting all the problems the worm had caused I decided to reformat. I used a self made slipstream disc with sp2, and raid drivers integrated.
It seems to crash reliably when I close a game down, when I exit the game to the desktop it will almost always crash.
I wish I had an error message for you, I have checked xp's error logs and been disapointed to find nothing unusual.
I have hijackthis, if it is helpful I can upload a log or two...
Also, my gpu runs at a steady 61-62c during normal operation.

Thanks for you help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

Wow, this seems really weird. My first thought was your ram, but then you said you ran memtest with no errors so its fine. How long have you had this problem? Can you try different video cards, or your video card in a different computer? The temperature looks good, everything looks good too.

I don't remember how or where, but theres an option in windows so your computer doesn't automatically reset when it gets a blue screen. Maybe if you look around in control panel you can find this, or someone else can help you out. Good luck with fixing your problem!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

Step number one is to figure out the error. How to Find BSOD (Blue Screen) Error Messages
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 nadonate

nadonate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick response/

I forgot about the critical error actions, I thought there was fail-safe options in bios for restarting when the blue screen apears.... hmmm found none.

I was able to squeeze an error message out of half-life 2 ---->

the client gives me this error : "internal driver error in Idirect3DDevice9:: present ()"

I also got an error from windows (yay)

error from OS : "instruction at "0x10203e2c Referenced memory at 0x0e34a1a0 the memory could not be read"

I am going to try to recreate the bluescreen...

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Do you have direct x 9.0c? Go to run and type dxdiag. Click yes to what pops up. When the window pops up, the bottom of the lsit of words should say what version you have.

Still update it even if it says directx 9.0c . Update here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 nadonate

nadonate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

ok, thanks again for the quick responses.
I disabled my automatic restarts, but I have not been unable to recreate the BSOD. I did download the debugger tools and am anxious to see what is going on.

The directx 9.0c I was running was version 4.09.0000.0904 (dxdiag)
I downloaded and installed 9.0c (aug 2007 dist.) The directx version was the same after I installed.
...although, the MS download site states that the most recent version is 9.20.1057, is this just a distribution version ???

I did recieve another error after exiting Lineage II :

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2012 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra (6371)

General protection fault!

History: FMemStack::AllocateNewChunk <- FOctreeNode::ActorPointCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorPointCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorPointCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorPointCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorPointCheck <- FOctreeNode::ActorPointCheck <- FCollisionOctree::ActorPointCheck <- ALevelInfo::GetPhysicsVolume <- AActor::SetZone <- ULevel::UpdateTerrainArrays::AddTerrains <- ULevel::UpdateTerrainArrays <- ATerrainInfo::Destroy <- UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- (TerrainInfo 23_16.TerrainInfo0) <- DispatchDestroy <- (19144: TerrainInfo 23_16.TerrainInfo0) <- DispatchDestroys <- UObject::PurgeGarbage <- UObject::StaticExit <- appPreExit

Half life still locks up in the loading screen...
I am going to google the errors I have and try to recreate my BSOD this weekend, I will also use the debugging tool, hopefully I have a minidump from previous.

Thanks, I will let you know if I make any progress !!

:thumbsup:

#7 nadonate

nadonate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

ok, more progress, maybe this will bring us a little closer to what is going on...

bugcheck analysis:

"BugCheck 1000000A, {9d086240, 2, 0, 8051ede8}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiDeletePte+198 )

Followup: MachineOwner

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 9d086240, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: 8051ede8, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

READ_ADDRESS: 9d086240

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!MiDeletePte+198
8051ede8 8b420c mov eax,dword ptr [edx+0Ch]

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: L2.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 8051f25c to 8051ede8"

I google'd "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the error "1000000A, {9d086240, 2, 0, 8051ede8}" with mixed results.

irql_not_less... points to a cpu overheating problem. I have never had an issue before, something I will definately pursue. As far as I know my memory is a-ok so the only other Issue it could be is driver conficts ?!?!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users