Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Wireless Adapter Program In Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aef28

aef28

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

I bought a new HP computer with Vista. I installed the CD that goes with our wireless adapter, stupidly. It's not vista compatible. I went to uninstall it through control panel etc. but when I click uninstall I get a 'You have successfully INstalled the adapter". I have spent now, 4 hours on the phone with Linksys and they tell me, finally, I need a registry cleaner which they will email me in 24-48 hours. Based on their obnoxious customer service, I am not confident I will ever get it or that it will work. I ran a registry cleaner through Live One Care. The program still shows on my computer. Linksys says I have deleted the driver but it's the utility that remains.
I am going crazy.
I ran the HP recovery program but it only restored the computer back to last night and I installed the CD 48 hours ago. Since the computer is new, I don't mind just getting it back to how it was when I got it out of the box but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.
I have a PCI card to install once I get this other program off because linksys says I can't install it without removing the other. That will be the second challenge, I have a feeling.
Help, help, help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Ok you installed a software to change the settings on your Wireless. This was not compatible and when you uninstalled it the Wireless went away too?

On the front left side or in between your keyboard and the screen (depending on the model) you will find your Wireless switch ...
Posted Image

Make sure it will go to blue. If it goes your WiFi is detected. You can always configure it to connect to the net, assuming your connection is broadband, without any software.
You can always look in "device manger" too see the status of it.

If it doesn't, go to Start, and type "recovery" in start search, go to the recovery manger and click on "application a driver recovery", "Driver recovery", and reinstall your wireless Network card driver. Depending on the model again, it will most likely be called "BroadCom ... wireless", if you don't see BroadCom, look for "Intel ... Wireless" and reinstall it.

The software you installed needs to be uninstalled. But this will make you see if your WiFi NIC is present or detected.

You can always recover your nb and bring it back to factory settings to make sure everything is in the right place, using the recovery manager, but this will delete all the info in your nb.

Mav

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

One of the options when using the Recovery utility with your HP computer is to restore the computer to it's factory state - do that and everything will revert to the way it was the day that it came out of the box.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

I think the fact of recovering the computer is the best way to go.

You can use usasma's way or turn off the computer and turn it on, As soon as you click on the power button to turn it on, start tapping F11 (top side of the keyboard). This will bring up the recovery manager and you can go trough the process of bringing back your NB to factory settings. I will suggest calling HP for help to configure the wireless. If your connection is alive they will connect you only using Windows.

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users