Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution Setting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 redoak

redoak

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:54 AM

My "screen resolution" setting is controlled by "NVIDIA." The setting of 800x600 is much too large,
while 1024x768 is too small. These are the only standard settings available that are close to what
I would prefer. When I use the custom mode and guess at a pair of numbers, I am given the error
message that they can't be used. Does anyone know if there is a setting or settings that will be
acceptable within that range?

Many thanks, {redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hi redoak - welcome back.

Graphics adapters can only uproduce a limited set of resolutions. Different adapters have different resolution capabilities.

I think tha 1024 X 768 is, by far, the most popular resolution in use (except for gamers). I'm not aware of a common resolution between 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768 - yes, that sucks!

If the displayed items seem to small to you then you might consider getting a display with a bigger screen. This way everything on it will appear larger at any given resolution. I don't know what size your present display is, but 19 inch LCD displays are nearly as inexpensive as 17 inch ones. If you can spring for it, consider getting a 22 inch display. Good ones can be had for around $300 USD or so.

Hanns·G HC-194D Black 19" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

SAMSUNG 204BW Black 20" 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Hanns·G HW-223DPB Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

ViewSonic Graphic Series VG2230wm Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Watch out with the widescreen monitors - your graphics adapter has to support this wide aspect ratio at the resolution you want else the screen will appear squished or stretched.

If your PC is a desktop then you should also look into replacing the graphics adapter with a more capable one that can produce more resolutions. However, this market is aimed at the gaming crowd who like very large resolutions that produce better detail while gaming.

#3 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the quick response and info. Since my laptop is new and cost considerable $, at least for me, I will stay with the 17" screen. I wonder why "NVIDIA" provides the option for custom settings, if they are unlikely to be accepted. No need to answer that rhetorical question.

Right now I am set at 1024x768, and that seems to be acceptable.

{redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

nVidia made the graphics chip that is built into you laptop. The PC manufacturer uses nVidia's graphics driver, so nVidia takes the credit in the Settings tab of the Display Properties control applet.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

The uncommon 4:3 resolution between 800x600 and 1024x768 is 920x690. If you really wanted this resolution you may be able to set it with a utility like Powerstrip:

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

(It is shareware, you could at least experiment with it if you wish.)

What is the native resolution of your screen? If it's not widescreen, 17" is usually 1280x1024 native resolution (5:4 aspect ratio). Setting this to a 4:3 resolution like 1024x768 will give slight vertical stretch - circles won't be round etc. The reverse will occur if it's a widescreen format.

The screen will look its best at native resolution. If the screen contents are then uncomfortably small, enlarging the displayed objects by changing the DPI setting probably causes the least degradation:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...s.mspx?mfr=true

If you do resort to using a non-native resolution, you should choose one with the same aspect ratio as your screen's native resolution. The commonest are 4:3, 5:4, 16:9 and 16:10.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:30 AM

Once again, thanks for the responses and the added info.

Now another question: How do I restore the NVIDIA icon to the System Tray. It was there yesterday and proved very useful in making resolution changes, especially since the computer did not totally shut down between changes. This morning the icon is not there. When I use Control Panel>Display for changes the computer has to be shut down and rebooted between changes.

Apologize for being this troublesome, {redoak}

#7 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

I somehow eliminated the nVidia icon from my System Statusbar, but NWIZ can be run by:

Click on an empty spot on the Desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced > GeForce nnnn tab > Start the VVIDIA control panel

Display > Manage custom resolutions

In the right-side window pane: Create button

I played around with it and created a custom resolution of 900 X 765. This is a standard 4:3 aspect ratio. I hope your driver has this functionality built into it. If not, identify the specific nVidia chip and download nVidia's driver for it at their web site and install it.

** If you create a custom resolution then create one with the same aspect ratio as the native screen resolution, e.g.,
1024 / 768 = 1.333
900 / 675 = 1.333 I just created this one.
800/600 = 1.333

950 / ??? = 1.333 ==> needed vertical resolution = 713

Edited by WinCrazy, 06 October 2007 - 08:17 AM.

#8 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:51 AM

I can not find the "Start WIDIA control panel" "button," etc. I need more detailed directions, unfortunately.

I much appreciate your continued help!

{redoak}

#9 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

The nVidia driver that came with your PC may be a basic version that doesn't include advanced features.

What model graphics adapter is being used ? That info is displayed in Display Properties > Advanced > Adapter tab.
Perhaps a more capable driver can be installed from nVidia.

#10 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:02 AM

The version of my NVIDIA Ge Force Go 7700 is 5.73.22.49.00. The Driver is version 6.14.10.8647.

I find it strange that the icon appeared in the Sys Tray after I first installed NVIDIA (remember it was not in place when I bought the computer) but hasn't been there in subsequent boots.

I will go to the NVIDIA site to see if I can find a driver update. If I do, should I remove the current one before installing a replacement?

Thanks, {redoak}

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:19 AM

In the nVidia controls you can specify whether the icon shows in your system tray or not.

Uninstall the old driver before installing the new one from nVidia. There are several components to the download that will show up in your startups:

nvsvc.dll (nVidia Driver Helper)
nvcpl.dll (NVIDIA Display Properties Extension)
nvmctray.dll (NVidia MediaCenter)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

"u": Thanks for the info. However, I need instructions for reaching "controls." I have made an effort without success.

Sorry to be such a "blockhead!"

{redoak}

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

Usually you can open the nVidia Control Panel by right clicking on your Desktop and selecting it from the Context Menu. As I recall (don't have an XP system handy right now) you can also locate it in Control Panel under it's own applet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

John: I found the box into which to put the check mark! All is well now.

Path was: Rite click DT>NVIDIA Display>Laptop Display>a dialog window. There in the left column menu is "Tools". That took me to where I could activate the Sys Tray icon.

Thanks to you and the others who earlier responded. This has been a very positive experience, as was an earlier post. Hopefully, I will not have to bother you folks again too soon.

{redoak}

#15 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

I found where to download nVidia's own driver. This manufacturor's driver may give you the ability to create new and arbitrary resolutions the way most plug-in board drivers do. It certainly won't hurt anything.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.71.html

ForceWare Release 163 Version: 163.71 WHQL Release Date: September 28, 2007 Operating System: Windows XP, Media Center Edition Language: U.S. English File Size: 36.6 MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users