Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 pandammonia

pandammonia

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:36 AM

Hi, I use firefox with all latest updates with McAfee site advisor as well. Recently site advisor did an update, and ever since firefox has not been the same. Whenever i start and go to my google homepage, it says that the certificate obtained from dss1@mcaffee.com or dss2@mcaffee is invalid or has a signature used for other certificates, then it gives another error message, and finally comes up with the third that the page cant be encrypted. This has never happened before and it keeps happening. Ive run AVG anti spyware plus defender plus norton av and none of them have picked up anything, anyone have any ideas?
Also, i cant use my gmail, it always says the page is taking to long to respond, but its not the normal error page, and other times while viewing websites, half the page comes up in a weird jumbled code of random characters, and not all links are clickable. Whats going on here...?

Edited by pandammonia, 05 October 2007 - 03:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:37 AM

There are many different types of certificates and separate certificates for every browser. Web browsers include a number of "root certificates", which belong to CAs and are distributed with 'trust bits' set by default. Browser manufacturers choose whose root certificates to include. A number of well-known CAs, such as Verisign and Geotrust, have their root certificates in all major browsers.

With Microsoft, certification authority providers are required to complete a WebTrust for Certification Authorities audit or provide an equivalent third-party attestation. See Microsoft Root Certificate Program Members. All new root certification authorities for Windows XP are made available to end users through the Windows Update certificate trust list (CTL). This provides maximum flexibility for CA providers and Microsoft to respond immediately in the event of an unforeseen security issue. Some anti-virus vendors require the installation of the Microsoft Root Certificate update before allowing installation.

What are certificates?
Why does Mozilla include a default set of CA certificates?

Since your specific problem seems to point to the update from Site Advisor, I suggest you remove it and see if you continue to have issues with Firefox.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

i have disabled siteadvisor, but i keep getting messages about ceertificates for google, etc. When i first start it says something about message authentication failure. Also, it wont allow me to do a panda active scan as the link is not clickable, and trendmicro housecall page wont load.

Edited by pandammonia, 05 October 2007 - 09:00 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

Have you tried using System Restore to return to a previous state before your problems began?

For Housecall did you use the link: Trend Micro Housecall Scan for Firefox?

Panda and most other online scanners use ActiveX and require Internet Explorer to work. Try doing some scans with the IE browser.

(Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.)
BitDefender Online Scanner <- Add a check by "Autoclean".
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner (Vista compatible)
F-Secure Online Scanner <- Be sure to follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits).

What version of Firefox are you using? The most current is Firefox 2.0.0.7. Read this Security Update.

#5 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:11 AM

i have tried system restore to no avail, i cant log in to ebay, the sign in section is missing, trend micro will not load, any links on pages wont work, i cant be sent pictures via msn- they just dont even show up that someone is trying to send a picture, any page where i have to sign in is rendered useless. It took 4 go's just to get the add reply button on this page to work. I cant click links on any online scanner sites to do a scan, and whenever i try to download something such as an installer or activex control it says that windows cannot open it for some reason or another due to the file or signature being bad. All my scans are still coming through clear, and i cant download any new ones. Defender will no longer update either.
Internet explorer is not much better, i dont get any warning messages but the same things happen. I cannot log in to ebay and the front page is very different yet still has the right address, gmail is telling me it has moved, etc. It's all very strange. IE is having an error on every single page. And IE is doing the same as firefox when it comes to online scanners, the button wont work for panda and i just go to a blank page on trend micro, am starting to get very concerned.

i have tried system restore to no avail, i cant log in to ebay, the sign in section is missing, trend micro will not load, any links on pages wont work, i cant be sent pictures via msn- they just dont even show up that someone is trying to send a picture, any page where i have to sign in is rendered useless. It took 4 go's just to get the add reply button on this page to work. I cant click links on any online scanner sites to do a scan, and whenever i try to download something such as an installer or activex control it says that windows cannot open it for some reason or another due to the file or signature being bad. All my scans are still coming through clear, and i cant download any new ones. Defender will no longer update either.
Internet explorer is not much better, i dont get any warning messages but the same things happen. I cannot log in to ebay and the front page is very different yet still has the right address, gmail is telling me it has moved, etc. It's all very strange. IE is having an error on every single page. And IE is doing the same as firefox when it comes to online scanners, the button wont work for panda and i just go to a blank page on trend micro, am starting to get very concerned.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:54 AM

Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next. In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.)

If HijackThis will not run, try renaming it. Open the HijackThis Folder, right-click on the HijackThis.exe file and rename it Scanner.exe. Double-click on Scanner.exe (which is still HijackThis) and then run your scan. If needed, change the .exe to something else such as .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Example: Scanner.bat or Scanner.com

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

#7 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

I tried to follow all the steps in that pinned topic to much the same results. Every file i downloaded is apparently corrupt and will not open. Is it possible that its not a virus and some kind of connection problem, as firefox often cant find the server at www.google.com? But then this whole thing with digital signatures and certificates not matching is very odd. Not to mention the fact i cant download anything. When trying to run HJT i got error message - "The procedure entry point GetWindowPlacemeit could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll" Does this have anything to do with the fact im using vista?

Edited by pandammonia, 07 October 2007 - 06:46 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

If your having problems downloading from the Internet, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection.

Download the HijackThis program and save to a USB stick or CD. Then transfer it directly to the Desktop of your computer and follow the instructions for installing/creating a log provided in the Prep Guide.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

I have moved your Hijackthis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum. You posted your log in a forum not intended for these logs analysis and probably missed the directions we provide to those who require assistance.

Your log can be found here.

Please follow all directions that I posted as a reply to your log. Following these instructions will ensure that your hijackthis log is properly posted so it can be reviewed in a timely manner.

If you have any questions please respond in that thread. To avoid confusing, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users