Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John H Walker

John H Walker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

Has anyone any idea why System Restore has ceased to function on my PC. I am using Windows XP, home version.
John Walker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:38 AM

What happens when you try to use System Restore? Do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 John H Walker

John H Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

Yes, I get a message "System Restore Could Not Restore Your Computer To An Earlier Time"
John Walker

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:13 AM

Windows XP System Restore

Some common problems that could cause System Restore not to work properly and their solutions include the following:

• There is less than 200 MB of free space available on the computer—free up some space on the hard drive by deleting unused files or images.
  • After rebooting, the restoration is unsuccessful—choose an earlier restore point and try again.
  • Restoration was denied due to non-administrator status—log out and then back in as an administrator.
  • The System Restore Service is not running—Open Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then click Services and Applications. Click Services, and double-click System Restore Services from the list. Verify the service is started and running. If not, under Service status, click Start and change the startup type to Automatic.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hi John H Walker.

MS SR often fails when you need it most. It seems to be rather fragile. Some infections intentionally break SR just so you can't use it.

SR, when it works, restores both the Registry and the OS files including installed programs on C:.
From now on I strongly urge you to use ERUNT (free) which automatically performs a full backup of the Registry every time you log on.

A way to keep a "snapshot" of all the files on C: can be done by using programs like Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost (both are $). You need to get a snapshot when your PC is malware-free and all you applications are installed and working. This is far better than doing a Restore or Recovery reinstallation which wipes out all your files, settings and applications.

Essential XP Virus & Malware Protection

#6 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

Usually the best way to repair System Restore is to purge the current archive and let it start a new one.

To do this you can run sysdm.cpl access the System Restore tab -- turn off System Restore -- then turn it back on again.

A new restore point will be created. The old ones will be lost. You can also try creating a new check point manually and testing it.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

An outstanding reference for System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users