Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Spooler

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 silensyo

silensyo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:13 AM

is there anyone encountered this kind of problem?

heres the story one of our client in my work ask me to connect his unit to other unit have a printer.. when im connecting to the shared printer an error pops out
on my screen and said "unable to connect printer spooler is not running".. i click the start and run the services.msc and click the printer spooler as of my observation sees it automatically stop.. even i already click the start... i checked on the other unit and it seems run automatically after the boot and never stop again this problem brings me a hard day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

Does the unit you're connecting to another unit with the printer also have the printer software installed?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 silensyo

silensyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

yeahh actually all unit connected in that shared printer can print except from that said unit had an error in printer spooler

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

Found a different suggestion:

"You can also start the Spooler service by typing net start spooler in the Run dialog box.

Firewall blocks networked printer and other device IP Addresses. Printer message is: “Printer Properties cannot be displayed. The Print Spooler is not Running”

Problem: One or more of the following:
1. When attempting to print, you get the message in title
2. When attempting to View Home Network, it is not visible; computer, drives, devices, and files and folders not available/accessible
3. Fax or other devices attached to computer no longer work properly

Possible Causes:
1. Installed a new version or new virus protection/firewall software that is blocking access to the network and the IP addresses of computers/drives/routers/drives/files.
2. Print spooler is really not running

Diagnose:
1. Turn off firewall protection temporarily – 15 minutes
2. Attempt to print and or view devices
a. If can print or view, firewall software is blocking access
b. If cannot print, then Print Spooler may really not be running.

Fix Firewall Problem. Add IP addresses of all computers, devices, routers accessed
1. Open Security Software (The Following tutorial is based on McAfee Security Center v 7.0 – One of the least intuitive, multiple replicative terms, and most difficult software navigations I have ever seen)
2. In Security Center Home of Administrative Computer – there are two Home entries on the Home page
a. In listing under Home in top left of pane, click on Manage Network until bold
b. Router IP address will be displayed. Record it.
c. Click on each computer, connection, and device to display details
i. Record the IP address of each
ii. Do not leave this window
3. While in Manage Network window, click on Configure in lower left of left pane
4. Click on Internet and Network in top right hand pane until bold
5. Click on Advanced in top right of right pane
6. Click on Trusted and Banned IPs in top left of left pane until bold
7. Check Trusted IP Addresses (choose Trusted IP Addresses at top of window) list against your recorded network IP Addresses
8. Click Add button
9. Enter IP Address, one at the time, of each device/computer/router not listed in previous pane
10. Name under description
11. Click OK
12. Repeat steps 8-11 for each IP not listed

Restart/Start/Check status Printer Spooler:
1. Click on Start button
2. Choose Run
3. type in “Services.msc” without the quote marks
4. Enter
5. Scroll to Print Spooler – should show if spooler is running
6. Select
7. On left side, click start or restart
8. Or double clidk then set start up to auto and click apply and OK
9. OR see Start>Run>CMD options described elsewhere"
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:47 AM

The spooler service may not restart if there are docs stuck in the print queue and these may be unremovable (deletable from the queue) if the spooler service is running. Often the easiest way to clear the desks is to run the three following commands from a command prompt.

Net stop spooler
del %windir%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
Net start spooler

There should be a pause after stopping spooler till you get the prompt that the service has stopped. This happens to my uncle all the time for a number of reasons so I made him two ultra simple batch files to "clear the decks". They could be combined in one file with a pause between 1 and 2 but I find it less open to error to have two files.

1-stopprinter.bat
Net stop spooler

count to ten-ish

2-restartprinter.bat
Net start spooler

Edited by komski, 07 October 2007 - 04:51 AM.

#6 silensyo

silensyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

ive done already all the replies u send thanx anyway.... i found out that when i shutdown that unit it continous running except the monitor maybe thats the reason why printer spooler not restarting..

tnx

#7 DonnaParadise

DonnaParadise

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

I just wanted to tell you that I tried your suggestion and IT WORKED!!!!! I have been going absolutely bonkers since yesterday afternoon trying to get rid of a document in the print log and nothing worked!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now, I just might meet my deadline!

Whew! :thumbsup:

#8 Oakview35

Oakview35

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

Having a Print Spooler Issue when trying to install a new HP printer. When I try to start the print spooler I get

"ERROR 1068, The denpendency service or group failed to start,

SO does anyone know how to fix this problem!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

I just wanted to tell you that I tried your suggestion and IT WORKED!!!!! I have been going absolutely bonkers since yesterday afternoon trying to get rid of a document in the print log and nothing worked!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now, I just might meet my deadline!

Whew! :thumbsup:

Would you mind telling us which suggestion worked?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

Having a Print Spooler Issue when trying to install a new HP printer. When I try to start the print spooler I get

I would suggest starting a new topic with your problem, as his problem was fixed. Thing to consider while you do that. What OS? Did you just upgrade to VISTA? Was there another printer on the computer that wasn't totally removed?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 DonnaParadise

DonnaParadise

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

I would suggest starting a new topic with your problem, as his problem was fixed. Thing to consider while you do that. What OS? Did you just upgrade to VISTA? Was there another printer on the computer that wasn't totally removed?
Mark

Oops! Sorry! Got excited when it worked and didn't see that there were more than one response.
Thank you Komski!

I went to Run
Net Stop Spooler
Net Start Spooler

The instructions were as below:

Net stop spooler
Net start spooler

However, when I tried to type in the 'del' line, it wouldn't take, so I just went to Net Start Spooler and it worked. Beginner's luck???

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

I wasn't referring to you Donna but thanks for posting the solution
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users