Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

goofed up java

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buzzworthybum

buzzworthybum

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:30 AM

I'm running Win98 SE and I have the J2SE Runtime Envirnment 5.0 & the update. When I use stuff that uses java like games or chat rooms, they screw up. If I minimize like chat boxes, like half of the box will just pop up on screen. Scrollbars flash for no reason. Sometimes it closes the browser. Sometimes it freezes the computer untill I give up and reboot it. Sometimes it just automatically restarts the comp. It doesn't all happen rapidly, just every now and then something like that will happen. I don't have any spyware or viruses or anything so that's not the problem. If anybody can help me it'd be nice. Thanks.
P.S. I have both Firefox and IE and it messes up on both.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:39 PM

Uninstall the java through add/remove programs. It doesn't play nice with 98.

Can you give some info about your computer such as CPU, Ram etc?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:46 PM

If he uninstalls it. What is your recommended choice for a replacement?
Posted Image

#4 buzzworthybum

buzzworthybum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:18 PM

I have over 9GB left in my 19GB hard drive, 384MB RAM, Pentium 3, and I'm always running Spybot TeaTimer, McAfee, and ZoneAlarm.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

Windows 98 and IE don't need java as they still incorporate MS virtual machine. XP had MSVM briefly (in SP1) but due to a court battle between Sun and MS, MS no longer supports MSVM.

If you uninstall Java you should still have MSVM to pick up the slack. I've done it on more than one machine and it is much quicker to have just MSVM.

Found this here.

Got MS Virtual Machine installed already but find you have the Sun JRE engine set as a default JAVA handler?

The fix for this in most cases it rather simple. If you have the latest Windows Updates you may wish to just go the the Start, then Set Program Defaults listed there. If not, Go to your Windows Control Panel by clicking on:
START,
SETTINGS or CONTROL PANEL (depending on the version of Windows used )
CONTROL PANEL
Then look for the JAVA Plug In Icons. They would be labled something like JAVA Plug In 1.3 or 1.4 Left click on the icon(s) there and wait for the Sun JAVA engine to load up. Then go to the Advanced Tab in most cases and make sure it is not selected or placed in as the default JAVA engine or plug in. Then make sure you click apply. This should allow Internet Explorer to again assume the job of being the default JAVA handler. It will not prevent other programs from using the Sun JAVA engine as a plug in just not use it as a default JAVA handler when web browsing.

When in Control Panel>Java try clearing the cache. That might help also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:25 PM

Yes, but Microsoft no longer supports MSVM. And as there are known security issues regarding it. I guess that puts buzzworthybum between a rock and a hard place.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/remove-microsoft-java-virtual-machine/
Posted Image

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:31 PM

Its never been a issue for me. A properly protected computer will be alright.

98 can't handle the latest Java.

Edited by Leurgy, 11 February 2005 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:34 PM

Is there a way to get an older version? Lol Or am I just grasping at straws?

Edited by scarlett, 11 February 2005 - 08:36 PM.

Posted Image

#9 buzzworthybum

buzzworthybum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the help, it worked great on IE but Firefox I guess doesn't use MSVM because I can't do anything with java on it. Is there any kind of Firefox plugin for it or can you set it to use MSVM instead of java?

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

Hi buzzworthybum

Glad that worked for you. I don't know much about Firefox so I can't help you there but it probably uses MSVM. Maybe reinstall it now and clean out the Sun Java.

Howdy Scarlett

You can download MS Java VM v. 3809 from here and then you upgrade to v. 3810: both downloads are availalable there. Its a huge page so what I do is go to Edit>Find on this page and do a search for msjavwu.exe. The third hit you get is the download for all OS's except 2000. That is a thread in a DSL Reports forum (a great broadband or hi-speed users forum) and a reputable place to download from. Everything you want to know about Java is in there.

I reloaded 98SE last November and went to Windows Updates as usual but the MSVM patch for IE was no longer offered. I have those two files very safely tucked away as they are getting harder to find. Its now part of a reinstall of 98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users