Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who Knows How...?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:13 AM

My dialup Netzero ISP hijacks my web browser Internet Explorer 6 so that after I sign on the first page that loads is their account page. I would like to have my gmail account load first. Yes I know what you'll say, just type it in the Address: box of Internet Options under the General tab, but I already did that & can go there once I press the "Home" button. But I want my first page to load my gmail account, hope you understand. I don't want to change my web browser either Internet Explorer 6 to some other as has been suggested. And here's the catch I already had it set up this way for a long time so please don't tell me it can't be done. I forgot how to do this when I recently had to reinstall my ISP with their install CD.This must be some kind of registry change that allows this to occur, cause Netzero is hijacking the web page. Thanks.
Windows XP Home Edition SP2 version 2002 dialup ISP with Netzero.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

Load the GMail Page - then
Tools
Internet Options
General
Use Current
OK

If NetZero keeps resetting itself after this try HijackThis to delete the registry entry.

#3 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:39 AM

Both those things you suggested were tried & were ineffective.With Use Current, you must be in your gmail account or else you end up going to wherever you just were every time. With Hijack This every time you "fix" the selected "Netzero settings, they just reset themself once you close the program. I tried unregistering certain dlls in the Run box under Safe Mode I type regsvr32 /u dll filename or rundll32 dll filename but just get "...module not located" error messages.
Perhaps someone knows exactly what to type in the Run box that I'm not doing to unregister dlls or another way to do this? It certainly wasn't this difficult 3 months ago, the last time I set this up. Thanks for your attempt.

#4 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Wonder if this could just be using a Netzero "connectoid" for dial-up. I'm not familiar with Nezero but have know this happen with other ISP connectoids. You could try creating a new dial-up connection manually. Otherwise it sounds like a security/hijacking issue - of which I have little interst or expertise.

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

I have heard that if you try altering the connection & dial the ISP Netzero drops the connection. But I'm game if you are. How does it go? I need a step by step for this one,thanks.

#6 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

All you should generally need to know are: The dialup tel number, The login name and The login password. However it looks like NetZero use a setup equivalent to AOL and that is probably not customisable. I'm from the "wrong" side of the Atlantic to be able to test things out.

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

It's just weird that I can't stumble on the way to do this. It was such an easy fix before. The guys at HJT forums are stumbling around too. They have me "fix" things that end up screwing the way my browser works. No back & forward buttons, messed up toolbar, etc... Thank G*D for System Restore! I'm thinking there's only two other possibilities: The first time, I used an older version of Netzero on the install, 7.0 this one is 8.0. If I can find one I'll try it. the other possibility is really weird. When I switched from att.net to Netzero I inadvertantly had "locked" a program, Ad-Watch Plus SE, (a paid version of Ad-Aware SE Plus), which kept my ATT ISP even after I deleted it from my Control Panel. Don't ask me how, some kind of spyware detector that locked in on my ISP. But I had to disable it first before I could get my Netzero to load. After that I was able somehow to get my first page to be my gmail account, maybe it was the old ISP install CD?? You should know I'm a newbie at this but I love this stuff.

Edited by sweets, 04 October 2007 - 03:27 PM.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

HijackThis should only be used if you have been trained specifically in this programs operation.
A mistake can render your computer completely inoperable.
HijackThis is a program used for cleaning a computer of Malware and various kinds of Viruses.

The guys at HJT forums are stumbling around too.

If another forum is currently working on your HijackThis Log, you should not be making any changes to your OS unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere.

When editing the Registry, it is very important to backup it up and know how to restore it , before making any changes.
Instructions on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing Up the Registry.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

I use system restore for a backup. The reason I'm asking for help on other forums is because it looks like a registry change is not the answer. It was something extremely simple that got me to effect the change, which is why I'm hoping to run into someone who knows what it is I just can't remember.

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:13 PM

Have you tried setting up a new Network connection?

I did this to avoid the hijack home page issue for another ISP and it worked, don't know about Netzero but here's what I did:

Control panel-->Network Connections--> New Connection Wizard-->Network connection type (whatever yours is)--> Getting Ready (choose setup my connection manually)--> internet connection (choose whatever applies to your connection)-->Connection Name ( i named it something meaningful to me rather than ISP so as not to confuse what loads)--Phone Number (whatever it is) --finish and give it a go.

Hope it works for you

#11 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

tork,
No I haven't tried setting up another network connection. I was told by others that since Netzero is an advertising based ISP, they make certain the start up page is their own. So was your ISP advertising based? Obviously they did not drop your connection, right? However I may try your suggestion. Right now I have a more pressing problem. No firewall because I started a McAfee firewall once I can no longer get Windows firewall to load. "Windows cannot start the Windows/Firewall Connection Sharing Service" Is the message I get.

#12 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

sweets,

Yes mine is a paid ISP provider who loads their page, firewall,A/V A/S etc, etc; I'm still paying and have simply chosen another way to login to the network I'm paying for. I have two options to connect to the ISP: one loads their software and home page, the second is a bare bones setup using Network Connections and manual setup nothing illegal just another way of accesing the net. No they have not dropped my connection. I have kept both options of accessing the network, in other words I have not uninstalled their software which was how I initially setup the account. I can use either method to access the web.

I know you've probably started another thread on your firewall issue, but since you mentioned it. I believe you said you were using Windows XP and using the Windows firewall -- it only provides inbound firewall protection not outbound.

Also don't you get built in firewall protection with your ISP Netzero. If you do and use it that's another consideration before you change the network connection mentioned above. I do not use the ISP's firewall, AV/AS obviously since I am logging on manually. I have opted to use other firewall A/V A/S than what the ISP provides.

Just some consideration before you change things.

tork

#13 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

tork,
Do I have to uninstall my ISP first to do this?
Sent you a PM, thanks
As to the firewall issue, I have installed but am not using McAfee's firewall & it changed my registry so that Windows firewall no longer loads properly. I don't trust a built in firewall from my ISP but I want to be able to have Windows Firewall working properly again. If anyone know how to do this please?

Edited by sweets, 08 October 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#14 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

sweets,

You are not uninstalling anything.

Also from what little I know of Netzero there is a free version (will not work with MS dialer which is the option I previously laid out for you as the network connection set up manually --my option would not work for you) and a paid version which I think? works with the MS dialer but not sure. You'd have to research that I've no idea.

Your best bet may be to tool around the search engines until you find a Netzero user who has done what you want to do.

As to the firewall issue I strongly suggest you start a new thread as that is a new issue and those who can help with firewall issues aren't necessarily going to read a post about how to change a home page.

By the way you do not want two firewalls running at the same time; you need to pick one and disable the other.

So start a new thread about your firewall issues.

tork

Edited by tork, 08 October 2007 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users