Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1781 Disk 1 Failure

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hey folks, my wife was using my laptop which has had a few errors poppong up in the past 2 weeks - it all began with an hal.dll error that shut the pc down about 2 weeks ago.
Tonight she was working on it and the screen went blue with a bunch of error talk and by the time I got to it there was a "drivelock password" prompt and the only thing i can do is restart and get the F10 ROm based setup screen. But I have no idea what to do from here. I ran a memory test and it passed. But when running a HDD test it passes the quick test but fails the comprehensive after about 40%.

I'd appreciate any help ... thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldloder

oldloder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

by the way, I'm XP Pro and this is an HP Compaq NW8240.

Edited by oldloder, 03 October 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

the hdd test was from a drive manufacturer?

if so then your hard drive might be failing(probably so)
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 oldloder

oldloder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

It was the one that was available to me in the F10 menu. I just started it up after waking this morning and it powered up fine. Should I use an outside drive tester? I do think it's departing.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

In device manager the drive should be listed with some identification

if the laptop is still under warranty I would notify customer service and ask their advice, the drive is smart capable, wonder if that is disabled in bios, I never have trusted the feature myself

Edited by DaChew, 04 October 2007 - 09:19 AM.

Chewy

#6 oldloder

oldloder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Thanks, Chew ... I'll go in and check the brand and see if there are any specific tests I can run for it. It is still under warranty, so I was thinking of contacting them and see if they'll put a new HD in there. At this point its running but it seems it could go down at any minute and I shouldn't be expected to run it as a time bomb. I'm not sure what "smart capable" is though or how to disable it.

Edited by oldloder, 04 October 2007 - 09:46 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

You might also take a peedk in Event Viewer...it seems to reflect most hard drive problems on my systems.

Every hard drive manufacturer makes a diagnostic program for their drives, obtainable as a download from respective websites.

Assuming that the Dell diag is accurate (no reason to assume otherwise), it might be best to start backing up your data/system.

Louis

#8 oldloder

oldloder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

I went to event viewer and found errors but oddly nothing that coincided time wise with the crashes. The only thing that I can figure was common to both incidents was that the machine was hot at the second event and the first [i]may[i] have been.

I went to Fujitsu and ran their hard drive test and some errors came up .... it said they could be turned back into good sectors but that the data would be lost. SO, I'll back up the system and repair them. I'm not sure if there is anything else I should do. The first incident made me wonder if there were any OS errors. Is there a way to test the OS like a hard drive?

BTW, thanks for your help, guys!

Edited by oldloder, 04 October 2007 - 10:59 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Since there's errors on the hard drive, I would back up your data and ensure that you have your XP restore disks handy (you don't know what's on the sectors that have errors.

If Windows doesn't boot after you repair it, you may have to run a repair install to get it running again: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 oldloder

oldloder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:05 AM

Wow, great link ... thanks. Good thing I read that because I don't think they even sent any disks with this machine - I remember being surprised about that. I'll get in touch with HP and line them up before I go any further.

Thanks again, folks.

#11 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi oldloder.

Check the drive out with the drive manufacturer's own diagnostics:

Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Western Digital

http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Samsung

http://www.samsung.com/in/products/harddis...ities/hutil.htm

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:16 PM

<<I went to Fujitsu and ran their hard drive test and some errors came up .... it said they could be turned back into good sectors but that the data would be lost.>>

Well...if you are going to do a low-level format to repair the hard drive...why bother worrying about the current install of Windows?

A low-level format (using the manufacturer's disk/utility) will wipe that drive clean.

I don't think I've ever used a hard drive utility that repaired anything other than by low-level format. Chkdsk is the only utility I know that simply repairs bad sectors and moves the data.

Louis

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

catch 22(good movie)

and hp probably has the recovery files on a hidden partition on the hard drive, ask for a new hard drive with the actual disks

durn cheapskates, there ought to be a law, wait a minute there is , but microsoft and oem's won't enforce it

it's ok for them to break the law they are above it
Chewy

#14 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Utilities like CHKDSK repaair the file system - not the files. The original data is probably corrupted and gone until replaced. Unfortunately CHKDSK doesn't tell you what "files" were repaired, so you will have no idea of what to replace.

You could try using System Restore to a time when there was no corruption - if you know when that was and there is a restore point there. Try this before going for an OS reinstall - it just may work.

#15 oldloder

oldloder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hey, thanks for all the replies, folks - I'm back.

WinCrazy:
- When I went to Device manager the only drive I found was a Fujitsu MVH2080AH - so that's why I went to them for the disk check. I suspect I had the right one because without any prompts it detected that drive and tested it. SO, I'm pretty sure that's the manufacturer. Good right?

- I've backed up the HD to save my files and I guess I'm thinking at this point starting with the easiest try first.
SO if I restore to an earlier date (not sure how far to go back , but the first indication of any trouble was with the hal.dll error), would I then go back and run the Fujitsu test to see if it comes back without errors? Or should I then run CHKDSK? I suppose I'll run both.

hamluis: I guess before the HD test I was wondering if it was an OS error?

Chewy: In the meantime, I'll get in touch with HP to see what kind of help they'll give regarding recovery files/disks and new HD.

Thanks for your help, all!

Edited by oldloder, 11 October 2007 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users