Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Login Into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zutter

zutter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

I reset my msconf to automatically reboot in safe mode and now my username and password, that normally works to get me into Windows, does not work for safe mode. Furthermore, I cannot change the settings back to normal when I press F8 at the beginning of rebooting my Windows XP software. I have tried to use the boot disk software that I recieved off of this web site, but I cannot get onto the C drive to change Boot.ini to a different name and login to Windows normally. The boot disk software puts me into MS-DOS, but it shows A:\> instead of C:\>. How can I get into my C drive from my A drive??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

I think the command you should type is cd C:\.

Edited by MadDawg, 03 October 2007 - 08:12 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 zutter

zutter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

that command prompt - cd C:\ - did not work. Got any other suggestions.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

Using MSConfig to access (force) safe mode can be problematic when there is malware on your system and can make your computer unusable. Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot into safe mode. If you use the /Safeboot option on the Boot.ini Tab to force safe mode when booting into safe mode with the F8 key does not work, it could have disastrous results. The Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file and you may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterwards where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection.

Try using System Restore to return to a previous state before your problems began.

If that does not resolve the problem, download SafeBootKeyRepair.exe by sUBs and save to your desktop.
  • Double-click on it and follow the instructions.
  • When finished, reboot and see if you can access safe mode.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:11 AM