Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Hangs At Welcome Screen...again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

Alright guys, I need your help. I've got a IBM ThinkPad R51e with Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu 7.04. Every time I boot up, Windows hangs at the Welcome screen and never gets to the desktop. I can boot into Safe Mode, and Ubuntu, but I would love to use my emulators that are installed on Windows.

I've had this problem before, but now it has returned. I've [accidentally] formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows, along with Ubuntu Linux. So, I don't know what to do now.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lotsableeps

Lotsableeps

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

If you can get into Windows in safe mode you can try a system restore if you have any restore points. Also, when you start up you can hit F8 and choose last known good configuration. One other option if logging in normally, it may be possible to hit cntl+alt+del and select in task manager (if it appears) file, new task, and type explorer. If you get icons after that it may be easier for you to troubleshoot your problems with a higher resolution capability in normal mode.

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Alright, Last known good config has failed, system restore has failed, and ctrl-alt-del cannot be used due to the fact I can't get past the Welcome screen. This has got to be a hardware issue, because this is a relatively fresh install of Windows.

#4 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

Sounds like a big conflict in your startup.

In safe mode go to start and click on run, type msconfig and look at your startup tab, there is a entity that is giving conflict with another there. Go to the services tab, click on "hide all Microsoft services" and click on disable all. Try restarting and see if the issue is still there.

Hope it helps...

Mav

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

That didn't work either. Oh, and when it hangs, the HDD light stop flashing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users