Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Learn To Determine What Is Infection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 strix

strix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

How do I learn to read HijackThis logs and determine with what virus/spyware/malware is infected particular computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

Hello strix and :thumbsup: to BC

The answer to your question is rather simple. Join the malware removal program of course!

In this program, you learn how to identify malware and other infections, as well as how to remove them. The best thing is that you can ask many questions as you please, and work at your own pace.

I personally am glad i joined the program. I get insight into what the HJT do, am able to look at my own log and help others!

If you are interested, click here
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 strix

strix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

There are currently no programs available. Please check back in a few days.

:thumbsup:

#4 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Really?

Well sorry about that, as i am already part of the program, i cannot see the application page.

You can always check back in a few days. Sorry about any inconvenience caused.
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

There is a lot more to it than just learning how to use HijackThis. However, while your waiting to get into training, you can start by reading over some HijackThis Online Tutorials to get an understanding of the basics.
merijn.org
bleepingcomputer.com
greyknight17.com
hometown.aol.co.uk

HijackThis is an advanced tool written by Merijn Bellekom [the creator of CWShredder] that requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious serious damage such as your Internet no longer working or problems with running Windows itself.

HijackThis is an enumerator and similar in some respects to a registry editor which displays areas of the Windows registry where the majority of malware reside. Hijackthis will scan certain areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in these known hiding places. It then relies on experts to interpret the log entries [the areas of the registry that it displays and all running processes in Task Manager at the time the log was created] and determine what needs to be fixed. It is not a stand-alone cleaning tool and it does not scan the entire system. Thus, it is extremely important to learn how to use other full scanning tools like SUPERAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc and have a good understanding of Windows Registry.

Beginners Guides:
Understanding the Registry
Demystifying the Windows Registry
Beginners Guides: The Registry: Backups, Repairs, and Protection
How The Windows XP Registry is Structured; Types of Registry Backups

Working with and Backing up the Registry:
Tutorial: Working with Windows Registry
Backing up and Editing the Registry
How to backup the Windows XP Registry - Three methods
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif