Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Cursor, Trackball

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RHood

RHood

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi all.

Not sure if it's Hardware, software, or Virus! :thumbsup:

{Did have a virus thingy from Malwarealarm I believe.. AVG quarantined it}?

......NOOOO, it's not because it's Dirty!! ...lol
I have a Logitech Trackman Marble+. It's a PS/2 corded. 6= yrs old.
I have downloaded the latest v. of Mouseware. {I believe}.
Dell Dimension 4700, WIn XP Media, sp2, AVG, spybot s&d, spywareblaster.

Symptoms:
Periodically, for no apparent reason, various and multiple... "windows" open up when I move the ball.. By "windows" .. I mean lots of how-do-I-describe.... applications.. like task manager, windows display box, etc. Meanwhile the cursor hides off-screen, moving the trackball opens more, beeping can sometimes be heard...

STOPPING it, seems to be by "HOLDING DOWN THE RIGHT CLICK"... period. Meanwhile, sometimes things are deleted, changed (like the desk top appearance), I've lost emails while composing, etc... Very disheartening...

After it stops, I have to close all the boxes, and find where I left off....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.. R Hood.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

I would suggest a HJT log and analysis first to rule out someone connecting to your computer remotely via a Trojan. It could be the track ball going bad on you. Could you do the functions being performed on purpose before the erratic behavior. IE: could you open a window or application with the trackball buttons. It could also be a keyboard problem do you have a generic keyboard or a special one with shortcut buttons that requires a driver? Pressing the button on the mouse may interrupt the behavior.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

I have a Kensington Expert trackball. They're pretty bulletproof but they do collect dirt, like you say. Try reversing the right and left click buttons to make sure it's possibly not a bad/stuck microswitch, or try another mouse if you have one
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 RHood

RHood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

[quote name='RHood' post='630522' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:57 PM']Hi all.

Not sure if it's Hardware, software, or Virus! :huh:

Hello back. Thanks for the quick response...
{BTW. where'd all the ADS come from?? Bleeping computer, heck it's Bleeping ADs}.. :mello:

Anyway, I removed the Trackman, plugged in the old Compaq mouse--hummm, happens to ALSO be a Logitech-- now when I move the "Scroll wheel".. it's as if I "right Click".. it opens the window.. "undo, back, reload, etc.."..

As far as doing a HJT , I'd be stoked to do.. but I don't know how or "whom" to send it to... :thumbsup: so last 5 minutes, no symptoms. but I'm not holding by breath... lol

#5 RHood

RHood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

opps, sorry for the "quote" posts

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

No problem RHood.

It takes a little while for a new member to get used to the way this forum works. :thumbsup:

Regarding your first question about the Adds in this site, I'm going to refer you all to a post in this forum from April, 2006.

Members No Longer See Advertisements At Bc!

Posting a HijackThis Log is a last resort for an OS that is infected, and other methods of removal have failed.
If you find that this is not a Hardware issue and could be Virus related, please post a question in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.
The members there will assist you in checking your computer for any infection that could be present, and deal with it accordingly.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 RHood

RHood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Thanks TMack.

well, so far (with old mouse), no symptoms.. however the scroll wheel thing is nuts! (5 minutes, and I miss the trackball already! lol and all the NEW trackballs seem to 'suck' in design.. (i know.. poor me.)

I'm beggining to suspect software? or mouse-setup?

as far as ads.. I was willing to put-up-with-them in order to use this free forum... gald not to have to .. thx.

Cheers for now, RH.
ps, I'm in Ca... but have traveled in your Lovely BC years ago.... Baniff, Victoria Is, and w/a band through Quesnell? and Castlegar... you got snow yet??

#8 RHood

RHood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

OK, me again..
(is this Kosher to reply to my own ??) :thumbsup:

Since using the old type mouse... noticed:
Using the scroll-wheel opens up the "right click" options window.. then if I continue to scroll {still w/the old style mouse} , and if anything is highlighted, it will apply that.. ie: undue, back, view page source, etc...

This appears to be what the Trackball was doing.. however "IT" only did it haphazardly and sporadically, now the scroll wheel does it constantly... {hummmm, software?}...

*** OK-OK, here's the bomb.... in other words.. NOW using the scroll wheel does what BEFORE using the track-ball did! (opening right-click options... ***

I went into "mouse" properties and changed a few parameters.. (wheel button now copies instead of auto-scroll), but still the same issues...

Question:
1- could I "remove" (delete) the current mouseware program.
2- plug in the old mouse. (hoping I'd still have plug-play)
3- still have mouse action.
4- see if this fixes the problem.. or would I be "FOBARed" ?

Thx folks, will await a reply...

at least I now know it not "Haunted" afterall!! :huh:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

You can safely uninstall Kensington Mouseworks
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

I use the Logitech marble mouse also. I am also having a problem with the cursor jumping from the word I type, to random parts of the page; usually to the middle of another word, somewhere else on the page!

If this is due to the marble mouse, bummer!

I have used the old drivers, and never had the problem. I may again use the old driver? I wasn't using the new drivers, due to the inability of getting the two inner right & left click buttons to turn the pages. In the past, the one would click down, but I couldn't get the right click inner button to click the page up, unless I used the old driver.

One day, I was installing another new marble mouse on the laptop and couldn't find the old driver. I figured I would go ahead with the new one and it enabled those buttons to work the way I wanted them.

I will add, this is a laptop I have connected the marble mouse to. The touch pads are cumbersome & not very intuitive. The marble mouse on the other hand, work well with laptops, unless they are the root of the problem with the erratic cursor?

mixpix

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users