Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tammyk

tammyk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have recently had my computer affected by a virus (I think), upon rebooting or just turning on, the screen goes black with a small smiley face in the bottom left corner of the screen. I cannot get into windows or safe mode. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have scanned for viruses and spyware and nothing comes up. Help

Moderator Edit: Moved topic from XP Forum to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
EDIT: Too add the from forum for clarity

Edited by Animal, 03 October 2007 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

I cannot get into windows or safe mode. I have scanned for viruses and spyware and nothing comes up.

I guess my first question, is if you were unable to boot into either windows or safe mode? How were you able to run any scans that would have detected malware? I think I am missing something here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

Welcome to BC tammyk

I cannot get into windows or safe mode. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have scanned for viruses and spyware and nothing comes up

How are you performing scans for malware if you cannot get into Windows or safe mode?

What were you doing before this issue began?
What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 tammyk

tammyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

Sorry, The only way I can get into windows is by booting from a disk that I have: Powersuite 2007

Windows XP Home

It happened after someone clicked into a attachment sent to them.

Edited by tammyk, 03 October 2007 - 02:21 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

Since you can boot into Windows, download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
Download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (This program is for Win XP, 2000, NT only)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
  • During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
  • If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
  • When completed, close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.
Then perform at least one of these online Virus scans:
(The following require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.)
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner
BitDefender Online Scanner <- Add a check by "Autoclean".
F-Secure Online Scanner <- Be sure to follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

Do you have a card reader?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t75487.html
I have recently had my computer affected by a virus that, upon rebooting, goes to a small smiley face in the bottom center of the screen and reboots. This seems to be tied into a USB card reader I have plugged in. When I unplug the card reader, this problem does not happen. However, I've run MCFee Virus Scan 10, Spybot, Adaware, and Stinger and it does not pick up any virus - Although Spybot picked up 8 files and said there was an error finishing the scan due to Zlob & detected Smitfraud (? not sure if that qualifies as virus)...

More discussion and links in link below:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.htm...ssageID=2548650
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users