Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Advice On This Build?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Any advice on this build?

Just upgaded my old AMD 1800 system to the build below. Tried to keep the costs as low as I could. Went with the 8600 videocard instead of the 8800. Just couldn't justify the extra $250 for the 8800. Thinking about getting another WD500 at setting it up in RAID.

Videocard: XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX 600M 256MB $129 - $20 rebate ZipZoomFly
Processor: A64 X2 6000+ 3.0G AM2 2x1M R $169 Newegg
Mainboard: Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H 590SLI $165 - $80 rebate Newegg
Memory: 4GB total, 1GB ea, OCZ2P800R22GK DDR2 $200 - $100 rebate ClubIT
HDD: 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS $109 Newegg
PSU: Antec NeoHE 500w PS v2.2, Active PFC $86 - $40 rebate Fry's
Soundcard: onboard 7.1

Total $618

Still shopping for a new sata DVD burner, I have my old Sony DVD IDE burner in it now.

Ken

Edited by Cr125Honda, 04 October 2007 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Never heard of a Neo power supply but everything else looks good.

I would recommend: CoolerMaster

The only draw back with that power supply is it doesn't have a modular design so all the cables are connected regardless if you use them or not. Not sure who makes the modular ones There nice but I have never used one. There a luxury, with good cable routing in a decent size case you wouldn't need one.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 October 2007 - 03:03 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:31 AM

The Neo HE 500W is an Antec power supply, and is pretty good.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:49 AM

It is the Antec NeoHE 500w. I should have been more specific. I needed a new one it because my old PS didn't have the 8 pin connector for the CPU. I read that I could have got by with the 4 pin but didn't want to worry about it. It has the modular setup and came with quite a few different connectors. It's also supposed to be pretty efficient.

Trying to decide if I should get another matching WD hard drive and set it up in RAID. I need to educate myself in that area.
Is the data transfer from the hard drive the bottleneck in the system? Would a RAID setup make a significant difference? Where is a good place/site to learn about RAID?

Ken

Edited by Cr125Honda, 04 October 2007 - 08:52 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

Ahh Antecs are good, but as you can tell I am not TOO familiar with them though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

RAID will make a significant difference in the performance of your hard drives - but if the hard drives aren't the bottleneck, then it's wasted money (although hard drives are generally the bottleneck in most modern systems).

The problem with the RAID is that, if one drive dies, everything is gone - there's no easy way to reconstruct it - so backups/additional drives are essential. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

Trying to decide if I should get another matching WD hard drive and set it up in RAID. I need to educate myself in that area.
Is the data transfer from the hard drive the bottleneck in the system? Would a RAID setup make a significant difference? Where is a good place/site to learn about RAID?

RAID comes in two different forms. Software RAID and hardware RAID.
  • Software RAID is what you have on motherboards. This won't really help with performance on a desktop. In some cases it even slows things down because the CPU has to do the RAIDing. I wouldn't use it for anything but back-up and fault tolerance.
  • Hardware RAID is when you have a separate RAID controller with its own processor and memory which does the RAIDing. This thing can help with performance under the right circumstances.
There is another catch. RAID only increases transfer speed, not random access time. This will help when your dealing with lots of IO with big files, like video editing. For game level loading access time is everything. Tom's hardware had a SSD with 0.1 ms acess time and 25 MB/s read speed loading levels faster than a Raptor with 4.6 ms access time and 90 MB/s read speed.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users