Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help w/ creating association for editing photos?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chillykim

chillykim

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:27 PM

Hey all- Well, here's my first question.
After downloading digital pics from my Minolta DimageX20 and placing them in a folder on the desktop, I right click on them to "edit", as I need them to be only 50% of the size for placing elsewhere.
For background info- I recently had to reinstall the OS (WinXP) due to various infection problems. Now I can no longer just right click to edit.
I get this message now when I right click on the picture and chose "Edit" from the menu:
Box title is : C:\Documents and Settings\name\Desktop\file name\PICT0015.jpg. The message inside the box reads: "X This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."
I am running WinXP Home edition on a Dell Inspirion 8500. I do have the software/program Microsoft Picture It! Photo 7.0. What I need to know is how to make this the association so I can just right click on my picture to edit? Sorry this is so long, but I felt I needed to explain everything in detail to better help someone reading this to help me! Thanks so much in advance! Chilly :thumbsup:
PS-I did try several searches for this problem before posting! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

Have you tried checking the preferences in the picture it program? A lot of graphic programs have the ability to reset the associations so they work correctly.

#3 chillykim

chillykim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:09 AM

Hey Grinler- I must be not be getting something- I went to the program and even downloaded the manual, and can not find any way to find "preferences" nor to even set them. Can you give me further instruction? Thanks, chilly :thumbsup:

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:15 AM

To change file associations click START -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> file types tab. Look for the jpg listing. Click the change button. Scan down the list for your application, but uncheck the box that says "Always use the selected program...". Finally, click OK on this window and Apply then OK on the Folder Options window.

To some people, this is considered the manual way to do this. IMO, the program should have done this when installing.

When you right-click the JPG file, you will same list of applications for "open with..." that you just seen. Chose the program that you want, and when it comes up, exit out of it. Right-click the file once again, but this time select the application and place a check mark in the box that I referred to earlier. Anytime that you open this file after doing this, it will automatically open the application that you want.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 chillykim

chillykim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:06 AM

Grinler, JEserivices, all- AARRGGHH! I am about ready to pull my hair out! I have followed all of your wonderful, detailed instructions, and I am still getting the "no file blah blah..." What else can I do to be able to edit my pics? This is crazy. I have MicrosoftPicture installed. It's probably just a dumb thing I have not done correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Take care, chilly :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:46 AM

When you double click on the image it should ask you to select a program to open it with. Select the graphics editor of your choice and have it remember the secltion.

#7 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:11 PM

Right click one of your images, click on properties. then under the "general" tab you will find a "opens with:"........ and a "change" button, click on the "change" and pick your editing software from the list.
Now every time you DOUBLE CLICK your images they will open with that software.

Chief.

P.S. you will have to do this for all the different file formats, IE: .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .tif, .png etc.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users