Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exe Errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bankspbs9

bankspbs9

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

What are .exe errors and what do they do to your computer? How do you stop them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

In order for anyone to assist you properly, you need to provide more specific information on ".exe errors".

What program is causing the errors?
Is a specific file name/location provided?
What are you doing when these errors occur?
When did the problem begin?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bankspbs9

bankspbs9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:12 AM

The error messages include:

ipwins.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close,
start.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close,
svehost.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close,
ie.updater.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

just a few of the messages I have seen. They pop up before I even do anything on the computer. I just turn it on and they start popping up.

Also, if I reinstall Windows on my computer will those error messages continue?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:43 AM

ipwins.exe
start.exe
svehost.exe <- very bad

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan. Backdoor/IRCBot Trojans are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking or has credit card information on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for email, eBay and forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breech.

Although the backdoor Trojan has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the backdoor Trojan has been removed the computer is now secure. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action is to reformat and reinstall the OS - "When should I re-format?".

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy. Let me know how you wish to proceed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users