Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 2k networking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noodlehead

noodlehead

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:47 PM

Hello i recently built a win 2000 machine(x) and i set all the networking addresses up manually. i currently have 2 other machines one xp pro(a) and one win 2000(:thumbsup:. They all are networked thru a switch and then the uplink goes to the cable modem.Computers a and b both connect fine to the network and internet with manual assigning of numbers while the new computer (x) wont connect to the internet. It does see the network and can access the lan and computers on it but it wont see the internet. ive tried putting it on auto assign and it creates an ip address and subnet mask but it wont auto assign a dns or default gateway so it wont connect to the internet. the computer is running a netgear fa310tx ethernet card. if anyone could help me with this.
also the settings for networking are identical as far as i know to the other win 2000 machine that runs the internet.

thanks for your help

jason

check out my website
www.noodleheadstudios.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:02 AM

What happens when you statically assign an ip address, subnet mask, dns servers and gateway?

I get Service Unavailable unavailable when I check out your site btw

#3 noodlehead

noodlehead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:49 AM

ive tried that and i open up ie and nothing happens. i try pinging websites nothing. i still can access my lan but no internet.

the website is down for some reason the web host must be down. thanks for letting me know. ill check into it.

jason

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:05 AM

Are you running a firewall ? Also check and make sure you are router thru the primary computer on the Net and are not trying to access the net directly thru the new computer. You may at this time upgrade to a NAT router instead of switch. This would eliminate alot of head aches .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:53 PM

Are you set in IE to use a proxy server for some reason?

#6 noodlehead

noodlehead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:14 PM

no proxy

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:44 PM

Now please Download LSPFix from:

LSP-Fix

Run the program and then press the finish button. Did that help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users