Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connection Wizard?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nabbers

nabbers

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:35 AM

I am getting a new desktop computer to replace my old desktop.
What do I have to do to reconfigure my new machine using Windows XP Pro to connect to the Internet and share files and folders with other computers on my home network?
I have a Netgear Router and a cable modem connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

First...go to HELP menu, type Network Wizard and read the info under the Start The Network Wizard topic.

1. Connect everything properly...cable modem to router, computer to router.

2. Run Network Wizard on XP. When asked how you connect, choose "residential gateway" because the router is a residential gateway.

3. Configure other computers, using the exact same workgroup name for all computers.

4. Double-check (eyeball) to verify that each computer has same protocols set up. Right-click on the network connection (each computer), right-click Properties, look at screen and verify that all are same for each computer. You might also have to enable NWLink Net BIOS as a protocol (I must do this on my home network), but let's assume that you won't.

5. Go to My Computer, right-click on each drive/partition that you want to share...and properly select such for sharing. If you want to share Docs&Settings folders, you might also have to select them individually (I do, but this just may be my quirk) but don't assume so.

Your systems will reboot after completion of the Network Wizard, so select drives for sharing after the system reboots.

That's it, in a nutshell :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users