Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Rename A Bunch Of Files In One Go

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:26 PM

I found this tip on the internet and thought that it was a cool trick and also very handy to use. Here it is!

When you download photos from your digital camera, they often have unrecognizable names. You can rename several similar files at once with the following procedure. This also works for renaming other types of files. and is an extremely handy method.

1.Open the My Pictures folder. (Click Start, and then click My Pictures.) Or open another folder containing files that you want to rename.
2.Select the files you want to rename. If the files you want are not adjacent in the file list, press and hold CTRL, and then click each item to select it.
3.On the File menu, click Rename.
4.Type the new name, and then press ENTER.

All of the files in the series will be named in sequence using the new name you type. For example, if you type Birthday, the first will be named Birthday and subsequent files in the series will be named Birthday (1), Birthday (2), and so on. To specify the starting number for the series, type the starting number in parentheses after the new file name. The files in the series will be numbered in sequence starting with the number you type. For example, if you type Birthday (10), the other files will be named Birthday (11), Birthday (12), and so on

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Nice, david..

I have a tip for people who use Microsoft Word. If you have several objects you want to move, tho all in the same alignment, all you have to do is click one item, hold one the shift button and click the other objects.

So that when you move the objects, you can move them in any direction with the same alignment! Don't be like me who moved each individual object until they were the same alignment :thumbsup:

Edit~spelling

Edited by Grinler, 02 June 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

Many applications, such as IrfanView, also have a batch rename function that can provide more renaming options.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

If you are looking at renaming a bit more complex, a program is definitely required. I have thousands of pictures and videos on my computer and rename them all in different ways. I found that AF5 Rename Your Files works great. Fairly easy user interface, several options for versatility, and its free. Just thought I would throw it in here in case you want more options for renaming.

d3k0y
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

Thanks John, but I wouldn't really download and install a program just to rename many files, but thats still a good idea I guess lol.

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:10 AM

:thumbsup: Well done david28. This was real useful while renaming my photos from Christmas

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#7 ssamsibar

ssamsibar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

Thanks John, Irfanview's batch rename worked great. I already had Irfanview, but I would definitely download software for this purpose - very handy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users