Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Here, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SoCoChevy

SoCoChevy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hey folks, new to the forums and unfortunately I have a problem. My computer lately has been shutting down randomly. It seems to do so when running programs like games and such. There is also a strange, annoying noise that becomes frequent with a program running. But when just surfing the web or typing up things, its fine. Ive been told it could be overheating problems, PSU problem, etc. I have run several programs to tell me the temperature and they all seem to check out. The average temp for the computer is around 35-37C and I am pretty sure that is well in the safety range. I also read about the thermal compound on the CPU might have needed to be redone, so I did. Things seemed ok for a day or so, then it shutdown again. I am really not sure what to do. I would like to see if I can fix it myself to some extent, without taking it somewhere and paying and arm and a leg to find out it was something simple.

My Computer Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64, 22 MHz (11 x 200)
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Series
Memory: 2G
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT (256 MB)

Let me know what other specs you need to help me out! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:48 AM

Hi SoCoChevy, and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Go to your event viewer and see what errors are occurring, if you right click on the event code you can choose properties which will give you a description of what is happening.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

There is also a strange, annoying noise that becomes frequent with a program running. But when just surfing the web or typing up things, its fine.

When running programs, is when the harddrive is most active.
The noise could be an indication, that the drive is failing.
I'd back up everything important, just in case, and then go to the manufacturers website to download, and run, their diagnostic utility.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 SoCoChevy

SoCoChevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

Ok, Thank you for the advice, I will try them all and see. Btw, I posted twice by mistake, so ignore the other one haha.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:03 AM

You're welcome, SoCoChevy.

I've deleted your other topic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 SoCoChevy

SoCoChevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

Well I did the diagnostic tool from the hard drives website, and it passed both short and long tests. So I am not sure what to do.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

Have you checked the Event Viewer, as dc3 suggested?

#8 Lotsableeps

Lotsableeps

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

When your system "shuts down", does it come right back up? If so then it is technically restarting, not shutting down. If not, does it just go to a black screen but the system stay on with lights and noise from fans? Does it go off completely and stay off until you turn it back on? If it is restarting, you should disable the built in "restart on system failure" setting so you can see if what may be a blue screen error when this occurs, which may give an indication of what is causing your problem. If that is what is occuring without changing the setting then your event log may show this as a "fault bucket" entry. Turn of the "restart on failure" setting by right clicking My Computer and choose Properties. Then go to Advanced tab, and then Startup and Recovery section and Settings button. Then uncheck Automatically Restart. Then at least you may see the error message if this is what is happening. If not then I would suspect power supply, but there's not much of a way to test it for those symptoms short of replacing and seeing if it solves your problem, unfortunately. Keep after it and let us know if you find anything in the event log. Also, please advise the make and wattage of your power supply and a better description of the noise. :thumbsup:

#9 SoCoChevy

SoCoChevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

I have looked at the event viewer and not sure what I should be looking for. Also, when it "shuts down" it is like i pulled the plug out of the computer, just turns off with no restart. The noise I hear is an almost constant high pitched chirping sound, not sure how else to describe it.

#10 Lotsableeps

Lotsableeps

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

A high pictched constant whisle sound is usually from capacitors that are failed, and the only ones in a computer large enough to be audible are on the motherboard or power supply, and it's much more likely to be in the power supply, AND much more likely that the symptom you have be caused by power supply failure. So I'd say we pretty much narrowed it down to power supply. Just 2 days ago I saw a power supply that was faulty overvolt a board and cause some sounds like whistling or chirping come out of the mob speaker! Often enough a bad power supply can kill a mob too so I'd recommend replacing your power supply sooner rather than later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users