Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re Install Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

Sorry if I was repeating but I got an advice at starting for a lost *.dll file after I performed a cleaning with a very well known web cleaner. Together the PC started to function generically bad: abnormal size of icons and windows, failure of applications, etc. My concrete question is: Can I straightly install XP again without danger as was possible with 98, or is it different. Technicians arround here, appart of really expensive, even when they back the hard disk content, usually restore a monstruous new hard disk that's impossible to manage towards a best order of folders and files. In the internet, many people say that's possible but one of them gives such a complex way that makes me to doubt. I have runned every cleaner that's known with no radical improvement. Itís almost obvious that it's necessary to install XP again but I do not want severe troubles or losts. Many thanks everybody.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

As long as you still have the product key for the CD, the actual install CD itself, the drivers for all your devices and you back up ALL important files, (don't try to back up programs, as they make changes to the registry and will stop working if you try to paste them back into the new installation), you should be fine.. Once you do this, just put the CD in the drive, reboot the PC, and follow the instructions to perform a clean install.

Edited by madman6510, 02 October 2007 - 08:32 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

I believe that you're referring to an inplace upgrade of Windows (where the Windows files are copied back into their location on the hard drive from the CD). This works with XP and Vista - it's just different terms that are used.

Generally this is referred to as a repair install and you can find instructions on it here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users