Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Green Screen On Start-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

For the last few days my initial boot up delivers some strange results. In normal circumstances when the boot process starts the BIOS information is scrolling white characters on a black screen. In my case I have scrolling white figures on a green screen. This occurs until the process reaches the Vista marching caterpillars which is usually a black screen… for me it’s green.

At this stage a blue screen appears so fast that I am unable to read it in detail but it begins “A problem has occurred with your computer and it is being shut down to prevent damage…..” etc. At this point it will restart and the process is repeated for maybe three times until it will start properly or it will give me a number of start options like “Last satisfactory startup” etc.

Once the system is warmed up it will start quite happily with no problems. I should mention that green only appears where the screen would normally be black. Once the desktop appears (if it appears) the colours are normal

NOTE: This is not a dual boot set-up... both operating systems are completely independent of each other. I use XP predominantly.

I have three drives attached as follows:

1.) 160gig containing XP
2.) 320gig divided into 3 partitions which also has XP on it (my test copy)
3.) 160gig containing Vista which is mounted in a removable case. This is so I can switch drives using the BIOS. I can therefore switch this drive off and so protect the system restore information which XP would otherwise faithfully destroy.

In recent days too I have been having trouble with the XP installation on the 320gig drive relating to incorrect partition information and an incorrect boot sector and I am wondering whether this has some bearing on the matter. In desperation I deleted all the partitions on the 320gig this morning and later in the day when the system has cooled I’ll try a reboot and report back.

I should also mention that both the PC and flatscreen monitor are eleven months old

I would appreciate some suggestions in the meantime though.

Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:35 PM

When the computer is booting, keep pressing down F8, and when you get a menu select "Disable automatic restart on system failure (or some variation of that)", and press enter. When you get the blue screen write down the details and post them back here.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

Without the BSOD info we're just shooting in the dark here. But since there's problems with the video - I'd start with updating the video drivers to the latest available version at the website of the video chipset manufacturer (nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 EwenB

EwenB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for that. I'm at work now and I'll do that tonight and post back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users