Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Port Issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer :) Perhaps you can help me with a problem?

My computer has 6 usb ports. 2 in the front of the pc, 4 in the back. According to the specs of the computer, they should be able to handle up to USB 2.0. All my drivers are (presumingly) up to date as of a couple of months ago, since I had a tech do that while my computer was getting a full reformat fix. :thumbup2:

ISSUE: My keyboard became unresponsive sometime after I inserted a usb key.

My keyboard is a Microsoft keyboard. It is a new keyboard I bought a couple of months ago. It uses a usb port in the back of the computer.

The usb key was inserted into the first slot of the front of my computer. It was during the time some of the remaining file previews were loading that I found myself unable to type with my computer. I tested it in a messenger as well as in firefox; I could not type at all. I thought maybe I knocked out a chord, but the lights were still on in my keyboard.

After unhooking the usb key and keyboard and just re hooking in the keyboard into the same port, the keyboard worked fine. The keyboard has gone through this issue before, and unhooking and re hooking it into the port did the fix. The usb key no longer works on my computer (it is no longer recognized), but other usb keys appear to work fine on it. It sometimes has issues being recognized on another household computer as well...So I'm assuming its just a problem with the usb key itself @ that.

The question: Is there something going wrong with my usb ports or motherboard? Or is this some sort of random fluke? :mellow: Can someone try explaining to me what possibly happened?

Thanks in Advance!

TTC

---
Additional info about my computer:
Its an HP Media Center m7680n. It originally was running on the Windows Media Center 2005 OS, but it has been reformatted and downgraded by a tech professional to the Windows XP Pro OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

I would suspect that it's the USB key, but that can really only be tested by using another USB device in it's place.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

Ok. I tested it out with two different usb devices.

In both cases in which these were (individually) used, both of the devices (a different usb key and usb headphones) functioned perfectly. I guess it was the usb key after all.

Thanks a ton for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users