Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure where this goes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 suebaby41

suebaby41

W.A.M. (Women Against Malware)

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:25 PM

I have a question that I would like someone t o answer. Is it possible that a hacker/virus,/etc. could be on a computer forum and is downloaded to my computer?
I have had two viruses on my computer lately which required reinstall. The only places I have been are to various computer forums.
Please don't take me wrong, I am not accusing this forum of anything.
I am just very frustrated.

I have ZoneAlarm, McAfee Anti-viurs, SpywareBlaster, CWShredder, Ewido. Spybot S&D, AdAware, EasyCleaner, CCleaner. I have not clicked on any emails from unknown sources or any attachments.

Please help.
You don't stop laughing when you get old; you get old when you stop laughing.
A Member of U-N-I-T-E (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators)
Malware Removal University Masters Graduate

Posted Image
Join The Fight Against Malware
No reply within 5 days will result in your topic being closed. If you need more time, please let me know by posting in this topic so that your topic will not be closed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:00 AM

THe only way a virus can be transfered from a forum is:

1. if you downloaded a file with a virus in it

2. If the forum was purposely installing malicious software or was hacked and doing it unintentionally.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:23 AM

I read recently that persons have downloaded legit. software install a virus payload and posted it to download sites . Also some software like MicroMedia Flash have install objects deceptively like the Yahoo Tool Bar. And still others will install Malware out right . If you read(which few do) the agreement some softwares will state they are installing secondary software AND if you uninstall the secondary software it will disable the first software. Bad poop. Hate to say it but there are a number of ways to infect your computer. Sorry for the bad news . Check some of the software you have recently downloaded and try reinstalling them and read the agreement . You may be shocked.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 cdggraham

cdggraham

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:43 PM

I have visited legit sites that have been hijacked and trojans infected my computer. There's lots of bad stuff on the internet, you have to be real careful. We have a Municipal (city) network with a firewall and all kinds of protective software and that trojan STILL got on our computers.

#5 suebaby41

suebaby41

W.A.M. (Women Against Malware)

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the replies from all of you. I feel better knowing that I am not the only one that gets those nasties. It sure is aggravating. I wish that someone would come up with a way to secure your computer; but, of course, then some hacker would see that as a challenge. I try to be very careful.

I am now going to forum sites listed in ASAP and I am going to be extra careful downloading anything. The last virus I got was when I downloaded a Mozilla backup program which the author had decided not to update any more. I guess that should have been my first hint.

I really enjoy the forums and I have learned a lot; however I learned some of it the hard way.

Edited by suebaby41, 11 February 2005 - 11:15 PM.

You don't stop laughing when you get old; you get old when you stop laughing.
A Member of U-N-I-T-E (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators)
Malware Removal University Masters Graduate

Posted Image
Join The Fight Against Malware
No reply within 5 days will result in your topic being closed. If you need more time, please let me know by posting in this topic so that your topic will not be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users