Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojans Are Not Always Prophylactics

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 anrymeel

anrymeel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

Sadly, i am not as familiar as some with trojans as opposed to a virus.
Today my AVG spotted Trojan Horse SHeur.QSN in Downloads\dna-1.0-alpha.1637.exe backup copy infected and also in Program Files/BitTorrent_DNA\dna.exe backup copy infected.
What exactly does it mean - i have had these files on puter for some weeks and today i get the infection warning and they have been put in a quarantine file of AVG.
Also, IF i delete them from this file - where do they go? are they totallly off my machine? or should i keep them in quarantineeeee forver????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

Trojans FAQs
Understanding Viruses and Virus Types

Backdoor/IRCBot Trojans are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking or has credit card information on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for email, eBay and forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breech.

When a program quarantines a file or moves it into a virus vault, that file is safely held there (and no longer a threat) until you take action to delete it. One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of an essential file that may have been flagged as a "False Positive". If that is the case, then you can restore the file. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Quarantine is just an added safety measure.

When the file in the vault is known to be bad, you can delete it at any time.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users