Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Partition?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computer_time

computer_time

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hi all,

Today i bought a hp v3000 laptop. i installed vista ultimatum.

There is 160GB HDD in C: 141GB and in D: 8GB

i need to partition my hard disk into 3 disk C:, D:, E:,

In c: 60GB, in D: 50GB and in E: 50GB

Please guide me how can i partition my hard disk as above mentioned.

Thanx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

The 8 gB D: partition is likely to be your recovery partition - and you don't want to mess with that. I would also leave it as the D: partition in case the system recognizes the D: partition as the restore partition.

To partition the rest of the drive, you'll need a 3rd party utility (such as Partition Magic) to do this. You cannot do this from within Windows because Windows is using the partition and won't allow it to be changed. Partition Magic (and the others like it) will allow you to setup the partitions in Windows and the reboot for the changes actually to be made.

Edited by usasma, 02 October 2007 - 03:42 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 computer_time

computer_time
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:16 AM

The 8 gB D: partition is likely to be your recovery partition - and you don't want to mess with that. I would also leave it as the D: partition in case the system recognizes the D: partition as the restore partition.

To partition the rest of the drive, you'll need a 3rd party utility (such as Partition Magic) to do this. You cannot do this from within Windows because Windows is using the partition and won't allow it to be changed. Partition Magic (and the others like it) will allow you to setup the partitions in Windows and the reboot for the changes actually to be made.

Iguess i messed with D: of 8Gb, actually i formatted that drive unknowingly, any idea how to reobtain this hp recovery??
Do i need it if i use vista???
Partition magic not worked or i didnt know the proper way so can u provide a guide with it
Thanx

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:04 AM

The easiest fix is to order a set of recovery disks for your system from HP - cost is about $20 (US) and it takes 4 or 5 days to receive them.
You may need the recovery data to install Vista - as it may look for a qualifying product before allowing the upgrade (but I haven't tried this scenario in Vista). Some folks suggest installing the Vista without activating it - then installing it again (so that Vista will recognize the first installation as a qualifying upgrade).

I'm not familiar with Partition Magic (I use Acronis Disk Director when I need it) - but I don't often mess with my partitions. I prefer a "whole" hard disk, and the limited partitioning that I do is done through Windows on drives that are separate from the OS. Perhaps another member can advise you - or you can post the question to the All Other Applications forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/57/all-other-applications/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 computer_time

computer_time
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

The easiest fix is to order a set of recovery disks for your system from HP - cost is about $20 (US) and it takes 4 or 5 days to receive them.
You may need the recovery data to install Vista - as it may look for a qualifying product before allowing the upgrade (but I haven't tried this scenario in Vista). Some folks suggest installing the Vista without activating it - then installing it again (so that Vista will recognize the first installation as a qualifying upgrade).

I'm not familiar with Partition Magic (I use Acronis Disk Director when I need it) - but I don't often mess with my partitions. I prefer a "whole" hard disk, and the limited partitioning that I do is done through Windows on drives that are separate from the OS. Perhaps another member can advise you - or you can post the question to the All Other Applications forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/57/all-other-applications/

thanx............... actually Acronis worked!!! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users