Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Down/maximize Icon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dazdandconfused

dazdandconfused

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

In order to be able to view 2 windows on my computer screen, I click on the center 'button' in the upper right part of the screen ( minimize, MAXIMIZE/RESTORE DOWN, close). About a week ago, this function stopped working, no idea why. How can I re-enable it, and/or is there another function that would allow me to show multiple windows on my computer screen at the same time? I tried googling this and searching here, but as soon as you use the word 'restore', everything that comes up is related to restoring the operating system after a crash. THANKS in advance for any help given, all appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

Do all three icons, including the _ and the X, not function on any screen on any application, or just the centre one?
If you right click on a "live" icon in your task bar, can you restore, etc., from there?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 dazdandconfused

dazdandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Just the center one, everything else is fine. Since I posted, I have done the 'double sided arrow thing' (that is the technical name for it, right?:-)) where you go to the corners and drag it inward from there? It seems to work now on some pages, but not on all pages. For instance it works on this page and most of the websites I just tried but will not work on WORD docs where I'm sure it worked before. I use it mostly with word in fact, where I have a window open to copy from and a word doc to copy to.
Ok, I just did the arrow thing with WORD independently, and now that seems to work, at least on the docs I opened to try it with. Apparently that has to be handled separately from the rest of the screens?
Any idea why I would lose this function all of a sudden and any way to prevent losing it again in the future? Can't really think of any changes I've made to anything that would have caused this but I guess it's possible. THANKS AGAIN!

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

Hi dazdandconfused.

That middle button in every program window is the "Maximize" button. It toggles the window's size between fullscreen and some-size-less-than-fullscreen.

Maximize button not working correctly

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

If the icon in the middle is one box - then the window is not maximized. If it's 2 boxes (one over the other) then it is maximized. If it's maximized you can't do the resizing thing - it must be not maximized in order to let you do the double-sided arrow trick. Often this will become confusing because someone has dragged the not-maximized window so that it appears to be maximized.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 dazdandconfused

dazdandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thanks to all, seems to be ok now. Good on ya about the re-sizing usasma, didn't know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users