Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Screen Goes Black After Self Test/start Up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ek24

Ek24

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:28 AM

When I turn on the computer it does the usual self test, makes 2 beeps, after that the computer screen goes black. And this happens before the Windows Load page even shows up. I tried to boot it with a Windows CD and a floppy back up and tried pressing F8 to show the safemode page, but the screens stays black. I tried reconnecting all wires in computer taking apart motherboard and everything connected to the motherboard. I really don't know how to fix this.
And I examined my motherboard already for burns or leaks. Before all this my computer was fine but the past month my computer would restart on its own randomly, which got really annoying. I already tried cleaning the dust off everything and put on fresh thermalpaste on my cpu. PLZ HELP!

Windows XP
2.80Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
512 x2 hyperx ram
ECS p4m800pro-m motherboard
ATI radeonx1300 512mb

Edited by Ek24, 02 October 2007 - 02:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

Hi Ek24.

Since the BIOS doesn't even run and you cant't boot from a bootable CD means that there is a hardware problem. Since the BIOS is able to make beeps this means it is trying to run.

The failure is from one of several possibilities:
Video card
RAM
Power supply

The most likely culprit is the video card. PCs generally make only 1 beep on a normal startup. I think your BIOS is trying to tell you that the video card is not working.

Your motherboard has an integrated video adapter. Pull out the ATI video card and restart. If the BIOS starts working go into the BIOS configuration and re-enable the on-board video if there is such an option. You can use this video until you get a new plugin video card.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/ecs/P4M800PRO-M-V2.0/g1.htm

Looks like you have an AMI BIOS. According to http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS-codes.pdf , it's a memory problem. Page 15.

Worth a try :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:57 PM

After reverting back to the onboard video, if your system still won't POST then try removing and then reinserting all the RAM modules. You could even try removing them all and then inserting just one at a time to see if they work properly. Perhaps one module has failed completely.

You can fully test the RAM by using Memtest86. Download the ISO image file and burn it to a CD using Nero, Roxio or CDBurnerXP Pro. Make sure the BIOS is configured to try to boot from the Master CD/DVD drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Your system will boot from the disc and Memtest will start running automatically.

Menetest86 should report no errors in 3 complete passes. This could take some time.

http://www.memtest.org/

http://cdburnerxp.se/download.php

If any errors are found and you have multiple sticks of RAM installed then uninstall all but one stick and retest each until you locate the bad one. Bad RAM can not be repaired. However, if you boght the RAM yourself keep in mind that most reputable RAM companies have a lifetime replacement policy on their RAM. You will need the receipt or an electronic copy of it.

Edited by WinCrazy, 02 October 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#5 Ek24

Ek24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Ok i need to clarify the beeps. It makes 1 beep... quick pause then another beep.. on the 2nd beep it says NVRAM update ok! then black screen

I don't think its the video card because it's almost a brand new video card (less than 1 Week old).
I bought it thinking it was a problem with my old video card (3D prophet radeon 9800 pro 128 mb)

But still i tried what WinCrazy said on pulling out the video card and connecting the monitor to my onboard video, but it still does the same black screen.

I tried using 1 ram stick at the time but either one would get past the black screen.
I'll try the memtest, but i duno if the CD will load because I already tried loading my windowxp CD and already tried going to BIOS and make my CD/drive boot before floppy and harddrive, but i'll still try.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

Well...one thing you can also try...remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds, then put it back.

This will result in resetting/clearing the BIOS.

Then try a normal boot, try to enter the BIOS...and reset the settings by electing for the default optimum usage option. You also may have to reset your clock and date there.

If that goes well, try to boot again.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Have you disabled the onboard video in the BIOS? Have you tried resetting the BIOS to default values? Have you tried booting with the monitor connected to the old and to the new video outputs on the back of the case?

Try the old video card - if it works, then it's likely that the Video RAM on the new card is bad. But make sure that the onboard video card is disabled.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd start to suspect the base memory on the motherboard being at fault - diagnostics aren't cheap for this type of error, it's usually cheaper just to replace the motherboard (check local shops to see if they can run motherboard diagnostics - but be aware that these tests aren't 100% reliable).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Ek24

Ek24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:58 PM

I tried taking the cmos battery out and back in, still black screen.. got a question though, do i have to take out the battery while the computer is on or off. I did it when it was off, just making sure because I never took the cmos battery out before.

I tried the old video card, still same thing.

Can u tell me step by step to disable the onboard video? I'm not comfortable with BIOS and don't want to change the wrong stuff.

I'm thinking it might be in 'Features Setup' and there's:

onboard floppy controller enabled
serial port1 address 3F8/IRQ4
serial port1 mode normal
parallel port address 378
parallel port mode ECP
ECP mode DMA channel DMA3
parallel port IRQ IRQ7
onboard PCI IDE controller Primary
onboard SATA-IDE IDE
audio device enabled
modem device auto
ethernet device enabled
onboard LAN boot ROM disabled
onboard USB function enabled
USB function for DOS enabled

these are my settings on "Advanced Setup"

Quick Boot enabled
1st boot device plextor cd-r premium
2nd boot device maxtor 6y160m0
3rd boot device 1st floppy drive
try other boot device yes
bootup num-lock on
aperture size select 64mb
DRAM timing auto
auto detect DIMM/PCI ClK enabled
spread spectrum enabled
max cpuid value limit disabled
execute disable bit disabled
cpu TM function disabled
TM status disabled
C1e supoort disabled
intel speedstep tech disabled
bios protect disabled

Is resetting the BIOS to default selecting 'Load Optimal Defaults'? because I tried that.

I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole motherboard.
IF i must buy a new motherboard.. which would u recommend that would be compatible with all my other parts?

Edited by Ek24, 02 October 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#9 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Take out the CMOS backup battery only while the PC is completely shut down. There may be a CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard that does the same thing but is much easier to use. Consult the motherboard User's Manual.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

Yes, Optimal Defaults is resetting the CMOS. Also, if you remove the CMOS battery the computer must be unplugged for the CMOS to "zero out".

I don't see a setting for the onboard graphics in the info that you posted. A review of the manual (located here: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/...=45&LanID=9 ) doesn't contain any reference to the onboard video (with the exception of a picture with the VGA port on the backplate). I'd have to assume that the BIOS is auto-switching for this, but that's by no means a certainty. I'd just try both ports and see what you get.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

Yes, Optimal Defaults is resetting the CMOS. Also, if you remove the CMOS battery the computer must be unplugged for the CMOS to "zero out".

Sometimes it takes awhile with the battery removed. I know a tech that said he had to leave one out overnight. No reason to believe he was pulling my leg
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

I'd suppose it depends on the capacitors, but I can't see it taking overnight - 30 minutes is the max that I've ever done (and usually, at work, it's only a few minutes because of the press of time).

#13 Ek24

Ek24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

At this point I'm about to give up on trouble shooting. Really annoyed by this problem. I will buy a new motherboard and see what happens.

I'll try to take the battery out for 30 minutes

Edited by Ek24, 02 October 2007 - 10:19 PM.

#14 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:52 PM

30 minutes will reset the BIOS for sure. While you are at it buy a new battery. It's probably a commonly found CR2032 and costs only a few dollars at jewelry shops (and Radio Shack).

Edited by WinCrazy, 02 October 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#15 Ek24

Ek24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

ok i found out what was wrong.
it was my hard drive.
i took my hard drive to my friends house and connected it to his computer and his computer couldnt sense my hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users