Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data On Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigboom

bigboom

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:26 PM

So my wife's computer died last week. When you turn it on it beeps really loud and that's it. No blue screen or anything. It's under warranty so it will be covered but we need to recover the data on her hard drive. We tried Best Buy and the want $160 to do it and the local guy that tried couldn't do it. Our problem is that she set a password for windows and it won't let us access the files in Documents and Settings. I have it hooked up to a USB enclosure and it works fine but it won't let me open the files. The error reads "Access Denied" and that's all. I tried the Microsoft website and found nothing that helped me but I might not have known that is what I needed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

Depending on whether you are booting with XP pro or Home the directions are a bit different for this -- but if Home boot up in Safe Mode.

Right click on a directory you want to get access to and select Properties, then the Security tab. Add the User Name of the profile you are logged into to the Permissions list.

See this link for more info:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308421

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 01 October 2007 - 11:49 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#3 j0nath4n

j0nath4n

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

Yeah I have got this problem before(recently too).There's another way which works(but not always).Place the harddrive in a ziploc and place it in the fridge.After a day take it out and place it in your PC.Boot it up and if you are lucky,the hard drive works(for a while).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

The "access denied" message is typical and indicates a permissions problem.

You need to take ownership of the Docs&Settings folders files when you move them to another system and want to access them.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

Access Denied errors are different from the errors gotten when you've used EFS to encrypt the files (the option to "make private" when setting up the account). There's different approaches to recovering files.

Follow hamluis' link to get ownership of the files. The taking ownership thing is a bit "flakey" - so you may have to drill down in the directory structure and take ownership at each step in order to get deep enough to recover the files. Don't forget to tell the ownership thing to apply it's changes to the stuff below (it's a little checkbox just under the dialog where you select the profile to take ownership with).

If you still can't open them, then it's likely that EFS has been used - and you'll have to use another means to extract the files. Let us know and we can suggest alternate recovery methods.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bigboom

bigboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

Thank you all for your help. I got it all downloaded off of the hard drive from the help and links you all gave me. You guys saved me $160 because now I don't have to let Best Buy do it. Have a great weekend everyone. :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users