Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Starts, No Signal Reaches To The Screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

i was living in israel for a while, and i bought a computer there, they use the european power method, i had an old computer in israel (3 years old) and it had an adjustable power supplier, and the computer i bought there (now about 1 year old) had a non-adjustable power supplier, so i replaced them before i moved to canada.
i sent it to my new home with UPS, after all the rumble and tumble it had there, when it arrived to canada, i couldn't start it, it didn't work.
i opened up the box and found out that the power supplier wasn't connected to the motherboard, so i connected it, and the computer started, but the screen showed "NO SIGNAL", and no matter what i tried i couldn't get it to work (i tried replacing the cables that lead from the power supplier to the graphic card but it still didn't work, plus the graphic card seems to be working [i can see the fan working], i tried to change screens[still "NO SIGNAL"])
i have a brand new computer that i bought here in canada, and i thought about replacing the power suppliers to see if the power supplier was the problem or change their graphic cards to see if it was the problem, but i don't wanna do that unless i have no other choice)
what can i do to diagnose the problem and finally solve it?
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:17 AM

a little help? :-)
bump

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:33 AM

Have you tried to reseat the graphics card, it may have been bumped in the move. I would take it out and put it back in.

#4 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Have you tried to reseat the graphics card, it may have been bumped in the move. I would take it out and put it back in.

didn't work, thanks for the try :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

Is there more than one graphics card type plug on the back of the computer? If so, have you tried all of them?

Other than that, the main thing to try is to remove, clean and reseat everything that plugs in inside the case (although you probably don't have to remove the CPU).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

Is there more than one graphics card type plug on the back of the computer? If so, have you tried all of them?

Other than that, the main thing to try is to remove, clean and reseat everything that plugs in inside the case (although you probably don't have to remove the CPU).

done that...
a few times now.
didn't work, i'm guessing that something IS wrong, and i'm guessing that it is either the video card or the power supplier, which one is more probable?

#7 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:08 AM

bump...
this is really important to me guys, i need that computer...
thanks for all those who read and post :thumbsup:

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

Do you have access to another computer you cant try the Video card in? If not I would recommend taking it to a shop and having them test the computer, its cheaper in the long run to have it tested rather then replacing a part that is good. You can test the power supply if you know ANYTHING about electronics. It requires the use of a voltmeter set on 12VDC. Unplug the computer from the wall and remove the case unplug the power supply from everything including the motherboard. Plug the power supply back in to the wall and ground the green wire in the motherboard connector to any of the black wires in the plug see if it turns on. If it does check all the wires for proper voltages. Here is a Link to the pinout and the proper voltage readings for the power supply.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

It might be the ram. I know of computers with defective ram, seeming to turn on (lights on motherboard, fans spinning), but nothing comes on the monitor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

It might be the ram. I know of computers with defective ram, seeming to turn on (lights on motherboard, fans spinning), but nothing comes on the monitor.

ram?!
that was the last thing i thought about...
well, listen to that guys:

i took the video card out of the non-working pc and opened the brand new pc to find that its video card was on-board(i wanted to take out whatever card it was and put it in my old pc, before i found that it was on-board).
so i tried connecting the probably faulty video card to the new pc and connect the screen cable to it, would that even work if the card was ok?
because it didn't, it gave me the same symptoms as in the old computer, no signal to the pc.
i thought about going to a computer canada shop tomorrow and buying a new video card (its a shame... its a GeForce 6800GS, shouldn't be replaced yet, if it was working...)
but i won't buy a new video card just to find that it gives me the same symptoms...
would you recommend me to go and buy it yet?
what else can i do?

thanks so much for helping me so far

#11 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:32 AM

If you put your video card in a new pc and had the same problem, I would think that you do have a bad video card. It may have been damaged in the move.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

As long as there is no compatibility issues with the card and the new computer. It not working would be sign that the cards bad. What kind of computer is the new one?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

i'm going to buy a new one now, i'll tell u later whats up

#14 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

ok, i went to the computer shop and they tested my video card and found that it was fine, and they told me that it must be the power supply, so i bought a new power supply, a strong one, and when i got home and assembled it into the computer it didn't work, same symptoms as before...

i tried meddling with the ram because someone told me that it might even be the ram(tought it didn't look like a ram problem to me) the ram appears to be fine.

i assume it must be the motherboard, right?
should i buy a new mother board or pay 24$ for a complete system check?

#15 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

How did you test the ram? Is this a custom built computer ? It may be worth the $24 if they will find the problem for you. I bought a motherboard for a computer once, thinking it was the problem, it ended up it was the CPU and the motherboard was fine. So, you can spend more money guessing sometimes. Do you know what motherboard is in your system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users