Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Cannot Read Dvd's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nsweeney

nsweeney

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

So when I first got my home basic Vista, it read/played dvds fine using Media Player. Now, however, it will not even register that there is a disk in the drive (on the rare occasion it does, but there doesn't seem to be descrimination because I have tried the same dvd twice and once it worked and many times it has not.) I do have programs like VLC installed, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Even if I can get it to read (once in a blue moon) the CD or DVD will stop pretty early on and again no DVD will register in the drive. I HAVE TRIED THE WINDOWS TUTORIAL STEPS. Another note is that my sister and I got our computers at the same time, but her computer works fine.

I'm wondering if I should just get a different drive because my drive is damaged? Does anyone know where I can get that, or does my computer have to be sent in and repaired?

Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:53 PM

It really does sound like a bad drive to me. Is this a new system or one that was upgraded?

Even on a new Vista system -- I had to return the one I'd bought due to a bad DVD drive. The new one worked fine.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#3 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:23 AM

Sound more like your upper and lower filters are giving you issues.
I would try this before going out and getting a replacement.

Go to start and click on run. In run type regedit, click OK
Before anything I will strongly suggest backing up your registry.
-You do that by right clicking on computer in the left side window at the very top and choose export, save it in a safe place. I usually will save it in C:
Easy to retrieve if I mess up things, and trust me "it happens".

Locate the following Registry key in the left side window (registry editor).
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and check in the pane on the right for the Lower and Upper Filters string value.

Right click on them and delete them, also include .bak strings that may be present. (Upperfilters.bak and Lowerfilters.bak)

Restart, and look in computer if DVD is properly detected correctly by playing a movie etc.

Usually this will fix this type issues.

Source

This could mess up your burning software, try reinstalling it, if it does.

Hope it helps

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 02 October 2007 - 04:28 AM.

#4 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

The above problem is symptomatic of when you don't see the drive in Explorer or My Computer, but it does show up in the Device Manager.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

As for fixing the drive, this will depend upon it's construction (is it a desktop or a laptop) and also a bit upon your technical expertise.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nsweeney

nsweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

It really does sound like a bad drive to me. Is this a new system or one that was upgraded?

Even on a new Vista system -- I had to return the one I'd bought due to a bad DVD drive. The new one worked fine.

Thank you very much, I will try the suggestions here and see what happens. If they do not work... Rog, is there a good way to turn in my computer? Is it on the website, or do I need to contact some kind of support? (because there is no way I'm fixing it myself!) Also, did you get a refund on the new computer? And should I wipe the computer completely?

Thanks!

Edited by nsweeney, 02 October 2007 - 07:35 PM.

#7 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:56 PM

It depends on two things -- the Vendor (eg: Acer) and the seller. I contacted Acer and they gave me thr run around (send it in for repairs, wait weeks, etc.). I did not like the support I was getting -- so I called Newegg -- the online Vendor I bought it from.

They have a 30 day RMA (return merchandise agreement) for the product and honored it admirably. Did not even cost me shipping which I had expected to pay.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users