Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many Viruses Please Help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 lmarconi

lmarconi

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

Starting a month ago, I discovered I had a major virus problem.
Here's the background.
I have a year old Thinkpad T60. I had Symantec antivirus software, however, the software was apparently very out of date.
I began getting lots of random popups from IE when on Firefox. Computer was running VERY slow.

1) I got rid of all Symantec software and downloaded AVG and Windows Defender.
2) Using msconfig, I went through all programs. I looked up my processes and got it down from 95 to 65 (still high, I know)
3) I used a registry cleaner and a defragger, as well as many other anti-spyware scanners recommended by a friend. Did not keep them on the computer, just scanned, removed, then uninstalled.
4) I discovered I had the virtumonde virus. Nothing was removing it. I used vundofix.exe and another virtumonde removal program. Still had problems, however way less popups.
5) I have not been getting any of the weird popups the last couple of days.
6) I discovered there was a process always running that regenerates whenever you end it. This process came up with no results when i googled it. When ended, my antivirus software would come up with a "Win32 Browser Modifier Fotomoto" warning, but could never delete it.
7) I deleted that process using ms-dos commands in safe mode.
8) I ran AVG in safe mode and in regular mode it found nothing. I ran windows defender and it found Trojan Conhook which it has not found since 9/10/07. However, in the past windows defender frequently finds the same two viruses: a trojan bho.aky and a trojan lop

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about computers, I've been learning as I go through the internet as a result of this problem, but nothing I do seems to get completely rid of everything. I'm sure these things are in the registry somewhere but I do not know what to delete or how.
Also, if you require a Hijack this log, I do not know how to get one, so please tell me if you need it how I can create it.
Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi Imarconi,

Here is the link to help you check your computer and then Post a Hijack log if the other suggestions don't help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:20 AM

Hello lmarconi,

Now that you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users