Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:44 PM
Starting a month ago, I discovered I had a major virus problem.
Here's the background.
I have a year old Thinkpad T60. I had Symantec antivirus software, however, the software was apparently very out of date.
I began getting lots of random popups from IE when on Firefox. Computer was running VERY slow.
1) I got rid of all Symantec software and downloaded AVG and Windows Defender.
2) Using msconfig, I went through all programs. I looked up my processes and got it down from 95 to 65 (still high, I know)
3) I used a registry cleaner and a defragger, as well as many other anti-spyware scanners recommended by a friend. Did not keep them on the computer, just scanned, removed, then uninstalled.
4) I discovered I had the virtumonde virus. Nothing was removing it. I used vundofix.exe and another virtumonde removal program. Still had problems, however way less popups.
5) I have not been getting any of the weird popups the last couple of days.
6) I discovered there was a process always running that regenerates whenever you end it. This process came up with no results when i googled it. When ended, my antivirus software would come up with a "Win32 Browser Modifier Fotomoto" warning, but could never delete it.
7) I deleted that process using ms-dos commands in safe mode.
8) I ran AVG in safe mode and in regular mode it found nothing. I ran windows defender and it found Trojan Conhook which it has not found since 9/10/07. However, in the past windows defender frequently finds the same two viruses: a trojan bho.aky and a trojan lop
Your help would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about computers, I've been learning as I go through the internet as a result of this problem, but nothing I do seems to get completely rid of everything. I'm sure these things are in the registry somewhere but I do not know what to delete or how.
Also, if you require a Hijack this log, I do not know how to get one, so please tell me if you need it how I can create it.