Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jkustme

jkustme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

I am new here and hope I am in the right forum, heres my question with some backround. I had two PCs hooked to a router from Time Warner, they did the install, its a netgear router. Well my old PC died and I plan to buy a new one and hook it up to the same router. I have been told that if I hook all wires the same way as it was for my old PC that it still will not work unless some configuring of the PC is done so the PC see the router and vice-versa. I am not but a novice when it comes to PCs. Is there (if needed ) a simple way to have the new PC reach my home page or does it require a teck (in my case) to do the config of the PC and or router.... Thanks in advance for any advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

The new PC should be set up to accept DHCP from the router. DHCP is the mechanism by which most routers talk/send data to your computer. It's a bit more complicated than this but it will work for our purposes.

From your current PC that's installed please click
start; run; cmd
then type:

ipconfig /all

push the print screen button on your keyboard. then open paint (start; all programs, accessories; paint) then drag the boarder to fill the screen/window. Click edit paste or ctrl+v to paste the screen shot. save that file as we will need it later.

to configure a PC with 2000 or XP you can go to control panel; network connections; right click on Local Are connection
and then highlight tcp/ip and click the properties button. from there choose Obtain IP Address automaticlly and Obtain DNS Server automatically. that should be enough to put the new pc online. This can very quite abit with different possible
setups and even moreso with windows Vista, but it's all doable. The screenshot we made is for future reference when you
get your new pc.

Any questions, post away.

#3 jkustme

jkustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for your help, I plan to get the PC in a couple of weeks and will follow your instructions which seem straight forward and not as intimadating as I thought it would be. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users