Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsk Chk Failed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jamy1224

jamy1224

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

Been having problems with my computer, I can't get past the windows login screen. Initially thought might be a virus but it seems to come up clean so I ran a dsk chk and it crashed, got the blue screen of death. I can only access my system now in safe mode. I would appreciate any help or guidance. I know that the cpu has been running pretty hot lately, but I'm not sure if that means that the hard drive is getting ready to die or if there could be any other possible cause.

Thanks
Jamy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

The hard drive would be the first place to start. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download a free utility from there to check your drive's condition. Let us know what it says and we'll go on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?

#4 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

I have a Western Digital drive unfortunately I can't download the diagnostic tool. I get a message saying system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.

I have tried last known config and still same problem. Only way to logon is in safe mode.

Edited by jamy1224, 01 October 2007 - 09:37 PM.

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

Are you logging in Safe mode with networking under Administrator? or Your profile? If so try the Administrator in safe mode.

#6 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

It's not accepting what I have listed as the Admin password.

Update: I was able to change the admin password and downloaded the WD Diagnostics- but got the same message as before, system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Edited by jamy1224, 01 October 2007 - 11:36 PM.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:29 AM

See if this will help:

http://want2knw.wordpress.com/2007/04/23/w...s-installation/

#8 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

Thanks, I tried it but still the same message.

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

Give this a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Directions are at the bottom of the page.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

I would suggest downloading the bootable diagnostic from W-D on another computer, burning it to a CD with an ISO burner, and then booting the problematic computer with it. This will bypass Windows and any of the "restrictions" that are in place.

Edited by usasma, 02 October 2007 - 03:55 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

as in MagicISO?

I also tried the other suggestion using the Microsoft utility and same problem, I couldn't run the program.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

I think that MagicISO will do the trick (but some programs have a limit on how large an ISO file they can copy). If it doesn't work, then post back and we'll have more suggestions.

#13 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

I received a computer with the same error today. I am not sure if it is the exact problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try the same fix I used. I have repaired this computer. Is your control panel missing? This computer was missing the control panel and would give me the same error message, "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation", anytime I tried to download anything.

Because I couldn't download anything I used my computer and put the following on a flash drive.

SuperAntispyware
Spybot
Combofix
SDFix
AVG antivirus

I transfered these to the desktop and then went into Safemode with networking.

First I ran Superantispyware and it found a rootkit.reactor-variant
then I ran Combofix and rebooted to finish in Windows
Then I went back into Safemode with networking and ran SDFix
After I rebooted the control panel returned
Then I ran AVG and Spybot

unchecked the system restore, so I didn't back up any problems and then went and set a new system restore.

Everythings seems to be running great, but I will be running more test to be sure.
The most important fix was the SDfix, so you may want to try it first and see if you get somewhere with that. Here is a link with directions for SDfix:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8538&page=2

#14 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

Burned the cd with magic iso and came up with a file extension of NBA when I opened the disk on the problem computer. Haven't had any luck getting the program over to the problem computer- any other suggestions?

I have run the combofix, couldn't run the super antispyware ( again that whole safe mode operation problem). Also did the SDFix and still have the same issues. That's why I think it might be hardware related.
Thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users