Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Antispyware scan says nothing detected but..........

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lizbet

Lizbet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

The daily scan by MS antispyware has been coming up clean ever since the initial scan done when I installed it a couple of weeks ago. However, I got suspicious and ran an Adaware scan immediately after the MS scan and it came up with the usual 38 or so critical objects. The same ones that I was removing daily using just Adaware for the past month or so. I have Avast and it usually found 3 or 4 trojens. I have a router, but added McAfee's firewall from AOL, and since then Avast is finding 24 to 30 viruses daily. What is going on here? Previous to all of this I had AOL's spyware and it would usually find 10 or so........when I first added Adaware it found over 300. Look, all I want to do is stay as clean as possible.......why isn't any of this working for me? Help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:49 PM

Run these in safe mode,with system restore turned off (you will lose previous restore points). Many times malware hides itself in "protected" system files; these are generally availble when you run the applications as noted above.
If this step fails to resolve your problem, then consider posting a HijackThis! log in the appropriate forum. See the information/instructions posted here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/956/how-to-submit-a-hijackthis-log/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Lizbet

Lizbet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

Ok, I did all of that.........has been a week and MS still comes up clean, Adaware still finds 10-15, and my latest Avast scan just came up with 55 viruses..............Never had this problem until I added a firewall. Like I said earlier, only had a couple of viruses before...........what else can I do? I seldom download anything, and when I do it is from a trusted source.............I honestly think it has something to do with AOL's version of McAfee's firewall and as for MS antispyware.........it never finds anything. Haven't done the HiJack This, because it seems technologically beyond me.........however, if you are willing to walk me through it, I will do it.............I am so frustrated.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:53 AM

I'm willing to walk you through it, Lizbet
That stuff should not be coming back.
It is because something on your PC
is not right. Period.

OK, to do HJT is not frightening.
It is simply an enumerator application meaning it illuminates certain things. ONLY.
It identifies typical areas of problems we experience due to bad software.

The warnings are because using it for deletions/corrections is system modifying.
There is a backup made when using it. So even mistakes can be remedied.
It is safe to follow the advice. We simply do not ask you to do radical things.

That said, HJT alone will often not do the job.
What you describe is an infection of files that
is protective of itself... it keeps coming back.

So, when you post a hijackThis log for analysis
you are saying exactly what you have said.
"I've tried anti-spyware & it hasn't been effective!"
You need someone(s) more expert advice.

We need to see the enumerator's output.
Then, we might need to see another log (or two)

Based on the data, which takes time to study/create
a "consensus" opinion after researching online
we offer step-by-step one-on-one procedures.
You and I enter into an agreement to see it through.

Sometimes it's best to leave your PC running while
the hours between posts mount up.
That would be in a case (like yours , probably) when
the particular problem is with "morphing" filenames.
It might get on your nerves.
Think of it as good medicine.
Strong measures being taken.

You might not need to do that, but until we see the HJT
and can react (slowly, most likely) in the best way,
I don't know of better advice to give you.

How To Post (and run) Hijack This to the right place
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:49 AM

Hi Lizbet

I hesitate to add my two pennyworth to the wonderful advice you have had from Phawgg and Jgweed, but I wondered whether you are completely up to date with all the MS patches, SP2 etc?
Might be worth making sure of that as a first line of attack, then proceed with the HJT log.

I am learning so much from these guys here - you couldn't have found a better place to learn and be supported.

:thumbsup:

Luci2a

Edited by luci2a, 18 February 2005 - 09:53 AM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:15 PM

I also wanted to say that different applications will look for different sypware; this does not mean that one finds an overlooked item, but that one looks for what it considers spyware. Unlike viruses, where there is almost total agreement on the item, spyware is more nebulous, and the agreement about what precisely consitututes spyware will vary from one company to another. Quite frankly, the MS product, being new and still in BETA, would be the last application I would trust.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users