Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Compter Is Crashing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rberger3

rberger3

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

I have bought an HTPC computer and planned on running some older games on it as well. Well when ever i try pl;aying games after about 20 minutes the pc freezes and i can't move my mouse, ctrl-alt-delete, no BSOD, just can't do anything but a hard reset. I have an asus p5vd-mx mobo and just installed a a geoforce 7300gs card. It has the lastest drivers on it. It seems like something is overheated but i know nothing about pc's just a little about swapping stuff in and out. So after i restarted while playing a game it booted back up fine, i opened up my tv tuner software which i never have had problems with in the 3 weeks i'v owned it and it froze after about 2 minutes. The case has a little vfd display on the front and it seems to me i notice it freezes around 105.8, i am not sure what internally is happening but that;s usually when it freezes on me. any thoughts of howo i can check for problems or remedy the solution?

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by rberger3, 01 October 2007 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

it does sound like a driver problem, try to replace the drivers again, if you have the cd that came with the card it is SOMETIMES better to use these drivers than the brand new from the web

#3 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

WEll it started crashing with the original drivers that came with the cd, so someone suggested that I try to update them, and it's still crashing. I guess I could try rolling back the driver but not sure if it'll do anything.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Try checking your Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) - specifically the System log (although the Application log may also contain significant events. Let us know the errors that happen closest to the lockups and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

Ok I've checked the event viewer and and the only things that show up are tcpip errors and dhcp warnings. Everthing else is just exclamation marked. LEt me know what else I can check.

Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

I'd suggest opening up the case and checking the fans to see if they're running - especially the fans on the video card and the CPU. 105 isn't all that hot for a CPU (if that's what the display is showing). Do you know where the temperature sensor for the display is located? I notice that there's a nice cooler on the CPU - are you sure that there is thermal grease between it and the CPU?

Try playing the games (and using the TV tuner) in Safe Mode - if it doesn't seize up there, then it's almost definitely a driver issue. If it does, then it's most likely a hardware issue.

Do you have any way of monitoring the temps on the video card?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

105 thats Fahrenheit not Celsius right? 105C is 221 F and you could Fry an egg at that temperature and even more likely the GPU or CPU.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

I will try playing the games in safe mode and see what happens.

The fan on the graphics card is working and all the other fans seem to be working. I will check that there is thermal grease on it.

I'll let you know the results tonight.

#9 rberger3

rberger3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:39 PM

I can't play games or run the tv tuner program becuase it says it failed to initalize the vide card.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

Try uninstalling the video driver and then installing one that's freshly downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

If that doesn't fix it, then try another video card to see if it displays the same symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users