Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA Drive Not Being Recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jscanio

jscanio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

I seem to be having a similiar problem. I currently have an ide hard drive as a back up and an sata with windows on it. I just bought a 320g hd to use as another backup. I put it in last night and hooked up the serial connection to the motherboard. Now from my power supply I have one set of cables hooking up my dvd burners. Then I have one that goes directly into my first sata hard drive. Then one more connection goes into the ide hard drive and the video card. The last power option goes to the fan on the side of the computer. If I unhook the fan and hook it into the new hard drive the computer will start just fine but it doesn't recognize the new drive. I looked in the bios although I was hesitant to mess with anything but I didn't see it listed. I didn't know if I need to somehow turn on the other serial connction or if I didn't hook the power up correctly or if the machine just wasn't recognizing the drive. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

What kind of motherboard is it, and how many SATA ports are there?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

well number 1, you have a low quality or lowend power supply, it should have more connectors

unplug the other extra hard drive, leave the new hard drive on a power lead by itself

check and make sure you aren't trying to run a new sata2 hd off a sata1 motherboard/chipset
adjust jumper per manufacturer directions if so

bios or post should see the new hard drive, windows(my computer) will not until it's initalized and formated
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 jscanio

jscanio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

It is an abit motherboard with 2 serial posts.

To the third poster, I will give that a try. I am hoping that it is a compatable serial post but I think the motherboard is about 2+ years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users