Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which To Use, Jpeg Or Png?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Hi, I regularly post screenshots and photos in military strategy game forums, usually in JPEG format, but just recently I've notice PNG gives slightly sharper results, so shall I go on using that in future, or are there some drawbacks that i don't know about?
I'm PC-illiterate and can't understand why anybody should want to use JPEG if its not as good?
PS - And why is JPEG sometimes called JPG, are they the same?
I'm Win XP Home
Thanks

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 01 October 2007 - 01:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

JPEG is JPG, there is no difference, it's just dependent on what programs use, I believe.

The reason jpg is used still is because of the compression. The file size is a lot smaller than a png file. Hence the reason the quality is better, although jpg can look really good, it just depends on how much it's compressed. Usually, jpg is used for photographs or images with gradients, as gifs are used for text and flat colored images such as vector illustrations.

Also, IE browsers with the exception of 7, I believe, don't accept png files (they do, but for an instance with transparency, the background will be slightly darker in appearance than if seen in FireFox.) But with the exception of that and the big file size, pngs are a good format. It's better at transparency than gifs, it doesn't leave the slight white outline. Like with all formats, there are pros and cons, you just have to decide on if it works for you or not.

I hope that helped. :thumbsup:

Edited by Noot, 01 October 2007 - 10:24 PM.

Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 j0nath4n

j0nath4n

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:17 AM

JPEG is mainly used for photographs,and PNG is for graphics art.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

I'm PC-illiterate and can't understand why anybody should want to use JPEG if its not as good?
PS - And why is JPEG sometimes called JPG, are they the same?

JPEG and JPG is similar to TIF and TIFF. Just a different way of abreviating them. JPG is extremely common and is now considered the standard by most people for pictures, which is why it is used so much, despite any quality loss. Most people when talking (writing) about a JPG will put the "." (period, or "dot" with out the quotes), like "I saved is as a .jpg". The good thing about JPGs are that you can up the quality of them and they'll look just as sharp as a TIFF, even when printed.

HERE's some good reading about .jpgs. It explains things well enough, but you'll see where it reinforces what the others have already posted! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 clockradio

clockradio

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

If you need the pictures to have transparancies then use PNG otherwise use JPEG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users