Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"mounted Volume"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi Anyone,

I was trying to clean up and organize my PC this weekend when I remembered that I had a duplicate copy of my active OS (the one of three that I use most often). This duplicate OS was not recognized as an OS at start up or anywhere else for that matter? It was recognized as a "Mounted Volume" in it's properties.

It was on my secondary IDE 500 GB hard drive. I've noticed it there for the longest time but I never had time to deal with it until this last weekend.

I didn't have a clue as to why it was there. I don't remember ever making a backup of my active OS or anything. But then again who knows how good my memory is?

Any how, it just was sitting there for the longest time an exact duplicate of my active OS. I thought it was a dead anomaly that I should get rid of before it stood up and bit me. If it was a backup I was sure that I wouldn't miss it.

So, I went about trying to get it off anyway that I could. I guess that I should of listened to the errors that kept coming up saying that "this can't be deleted because it is in use". I was thinking it was just "Minority Report" echos and had nothing to do with any real operations.

Boy, was I wrong! I basically spent the whole time shredding and deleting my active OS? I don't get it? It's a inert duplicate on a different hard drive separated from my regular active OS.

What's happening here? Why is this duplicate there? And why is it active of all things?

I did manage to regain access to my active OS on my primary 40 GB HD by starting a new OS instillation on the second partition on the same primary 40 GB HD which apparently installed (re-installed?) what I so ambitiously deleted.

So anyhow, I now have access to my active XP OS on my primary 40 GB IDE hard drive by way of an incomplete new XP OS instillation on the second partition on the same 40 GB hard drive, plus I also have no access to my secondary 500 GB IDE hard drive?

Needless to say I basically screwed things up for the 500 GB hard drive. Even though the duplicate OS copy was on a different partition on the 500 GB hard drive then the partition with my second hardly used OS instillation I not only can't get the active primary 40 GB HD OS to recognize the 500 GB IDE but when using command prompt to chkdsk the 500 GB it says that it is to corrupt to perform the operation.

1st. What is a "Mounted Volume"? And what is it doing here not being recognized by anything yet it's active?

(The folder it was in had a disk for the icon and was labled just "New Folder"?)

2nd. Is there a way to rectify this situation without losing all my data on the 500 GB HD.

3rd. Is there any way to get a XP OS to recognize a hard drive over 133 GB and all it's partitions without the aid of a third party program like Acronis? The idea here is to KISS, Keep It Simple (the) Stupid (that I am) so that there is less chance for incompatibility etc. issues in the future.

4th. Is there a way to get one's XP instillation copy to include recognizing hard drives over 133 GBs and all their partitions, so that from the get go of instillation there is no problem with recognizing larger than 133 GB hard drives and all their partitions?

5th. Does Vista cover all these points?

6th. I think that covers everything for this situation. Any questions that you may have to help find a solution here feel free to ask.

I greatly appreciate any help that you can give here. Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

PS I do have another situation with the inability to access my SCSI (third hard drive) in my PC which also has it's own XP OS.

The error that keeps coming up in this situation even before loading the OS is:

"PC Disk Hardware Configuration Problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Check Windows documents on Hardware disk configuration and Hardware reference manuals."

I'm sure that these are two different situations but they may be related in some way so I'm just mentioning it here in case. Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 01 October 2007 - 01:36 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hi Johnz414.

I'm not sure I can help with all your issues, but here are some explanations.

Every hard drive can hold at least one partition. When a partition is formatted it becomes a volume, that is, it has a usable file system on it. A single hard drive can be split into multiple partitions and thus multiple volumes. A volume can only be "mounted" by XP if it is "visible" to XP and has either a NTFS or FAT file system on it. Acronis can set a volume to be invisible. The various Linux OSs volumes are not readable by XP and so can't be mounted by XP, only Linux.

If that volume on your external drive does not hold the XP installation that you are currently running at the momem, then I can't figure out why the OS folders can't be deleted. They are not in use, so they should be deletable.

Ever since XP SP1 came out XP has been able to access partitions/volumes over 133GB in size. If you don't have SP2 installed I strongly suggest installing it right away.
Get XP SP2 any of these ways:

XP SP2 on CD mailed to you Iím not sure MS is still offering this.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx
Download from MS Site This is a 272MByte file !

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

MS Developerís Network-Install Version This version has a different installation method.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Don't mess with Vista. I think it should be renamed to "MS Vista ME". :thumbsup:
Besides, you really don't need another OS installation floating around on your system.

If XP won't let you delete the installation on your external drive, then get another OS to do it:

You can probably get rid of that XP installation by using PCLinuxOS. It is a RAM-resident OS with a Desktop similar to XP. Its equivalent of Explorer will take a little getting used to, but once you figure out how to access your volumes it will be easy to copy and delete files and folders. It has the equivalent of Plug-and-Play, so it will recognize your USB external drive.

You might want to simply copy the files from your external drive that you do want to keep and then wipe the drive, reformat it and put the files back on it. That is, if there is room somewhere else for temporary storage.

In XP you should first run a chkdsk X: /f /r on that external drive before trying to do anything else to make sure the file system is in good shape. There may still be corrupted files on it, though, but there's nothing you can do about that.

As far as your SCSI drive goes, make sure that XP recognizes the SCSI controller and that the latest drivers for it are installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users