Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:43 AM

I have had major problems with PC this weekend which resulted in me having to reinstall Windows XP.

Windows has been updating frequently since then.

Everything seemed to be working OK yesterday the only change since then was several windows updates which installed themselves when I switched off the PC last night.

Today I have no sound, it was working yesterday.

When I go into Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices, in the Volume tab it displays "No Audio Device".

I have searched online for a solution but it seems to be a common problem without one solution.

I also tried restoring system to before the windows updates but that didn't make any difference.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

"Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP"
"Troubleshooting Audio Playback Issues in Windows Media Player"
"Playing music and video files: My question isn't answered in this FAQ. What can I do?"
"Sound Card and Speaker Troubleshooting"
"Troubleshooting Sound Issues"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

I like quietman's fourth link the best for quick diagnosis
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

Thanks quietman, the links were very useful. Found this error through System Information but as I have fairly basic knowledge do not know how to rectify it.

DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

If anyone can help further please do so in very basic language :thumbsup:

Thanks

Edited by secretangel, 01 October 2007 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

Found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887362
The first thing I would do is update the sound device driver. Just by chance, do you use Remote Desktop or a VOIP service?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 01 October 2007 - 02:22 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hi Mark,

have tried updating the sound driver but that didn't make any difference.

No I don't use Remote Desktop or a VOIP service.

When I click on the SoundMAX icon on the taskbar I get the following error message.

"Audio is disabled or DirectSound is unavailable".

I tried the support link you supplied and that is my exact problem, unfortunately, my sound card is not displayed for me to select it as the preferred device as advised.

I'm waiting to hear from the manufacturer of my PC but they are taking their time getting back to me.

Thanks
Posted Image

#7 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

Manufacturer of PC has sent me links to drivers for motherboard, sound card, graphics card etc. I've installed all of those and still no sound :thumbsup:

I'm not getting the "audio disabled or DirectSound unavailable" message anymore when I click on the SoundMax icon but when I go on Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Volume it still shows "no audio device" and I get the same error message when running System Info DirectX Diagnostic tool.

Anyone offer any further advice?

It seems to be quite a common problem when people re-install Windows XP, just wish there was an easy solution!
Posted Image

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

It just dawned on me that you reinstalled Windows. Did you reinstall SP2 and do a Windows Update?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:18 AM

Yes. Windows has been updating itself constantly since I reinstalled and SP2 has been installed now but still no change.

From the searches I've done online it appears that alot of people who have to reinstall Windows get the same problem .

This is very frustrating because the PC is used constantly for listening to music, watching dvds, playing games, video editing - all the things that need sound :thumbsup:.

Because I only have a fairly basic knowledge of what goes on inside my PC I am wary of trying some of the things suggested on other sites as I don't want to cause more problems.
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:27 AM

I recently read about an article in LangaList that spoke to this very issue: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070927#story1
Maybe it applies to your situation? Scroll down to the Manually Registering section and try that fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:29 AM

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

OK more info - maybe someone can help me from here.

Sorted the Windows update out, thanks for the links for that, but still no sound.

Went through the troubleshooter again and found that the Device Manager shows my sound card as "Driver is enabled but has not been started". So did a search for that and discovered a post which advised going into the boot.ini file and adding the /bootlog option.

The ntbtlog.txt file showed that my audio drivers did not load.

The post then advises to remove the /fastdetect option and that is what I'm not sure how to do.

I can see /fastdetect at the end of a line of text but I cannot see a way to remove it.

Can anyone help me with this please.

Thanks
Posted Image

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Is this what you found?

"I went into the boot.ini file and add the /BOOTLOG option. After rebooting I looked and the NTBTLOG.txt file and saw the following:

Did not load driver Audio Codecs

Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers

Did not load driver Media Control Devices

Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices

Did not load driver Video Codecs

Did not load driver Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)

Did not load driver Creative Game Port

That gave me the clue that the problem really is that my sound drivers really weren't loading even though the driver status "Driver is enabled but not started" gives you the impression that they did load. A more percise message might have been "The device has a driver associated with it, but the driver did not load".

NOTE: If you are not getting the same results from this first test then the solution that follows is probably not going to work for you.

I then went back into boot.ini and removed the /fastdetect option. I left the /bootlog option still inplace. After rebooting I once again looked at the NTBTLOG.txt file and noticed that the drivers that use to not load, were now loading again. I think the sound card was still not working at this time. (I really didn't check)

I then uninstalled the sound card drivers and rebooted. The driver automatically re-installed. I went into the Device Manager and low and behold my sound card was no longer saying "Driver is enabled but has not been started" but rather "driver is enabled and functioning properly". I tried my sound card and it was once again working.

My speculation is that the /fastdetect boot option leaves the system in some kind of state which is not repaired by a driver uninstall and re-install. Who would have thunk it! I certainly don't know how my system got into that state in the first place. It took a long time to come up with this solution. Hope this is the solution your looking for! From my research on the internet, I'm under the impression that many people are experiencing this same problem."

Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#14 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

yes thats the information I found and what I got from the boot log
Posted Image

#15 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

can anyone tell me how to delete the /fastdetect boot option (see previous post).

Thanks
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users