Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny X

Johnny X

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm a new BC member. I've been looking for a good forum to find help with computer problems, and this place looks very promising!

I'm a Computer Engineering undergrad at UIC, and I work for a small building material supplier north of Chicago. I do some web development and CAD drawing, and am the de facto IT guy for my company. Despite all this I'm really not much of an expert in Windows or PC support! Everyone thinks I know tons about Windows because of my major and my job, but really, while I could tell you some stuff about basic calculus, physics, electric circuits, or html and php (and really, I'm not really much of an expert in any of those areas, merely 'almost competent' :-), I really don't know that much about troubleshooting PC problems, so I'm looking for a good place to get help with questions I can't answer, and to learn more.

I especially would like to learn about malware removal and using Hijackthis, because so often I have people telling me 'my computer is slow', or 'I have tons of pop-ups', and I don't have a good systematic way of fixing their problems. I usually fall back on windows system restore to go back to a time when they were having fewer problems, then running Clam AV (I'm a big fan of Free software). But this is not always a satisfactory solution, and sometimes I have to just shrug my shoulders.

So, anyhow, Hello! I'm looking forward to using this site and its forums!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hello, Johnny X.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If you're interested in learning about spyware/malware removal, you might want to consider joining the HijackThis Team.
If it sounds like something you might want to try, you can apply here.

(I'm a big fan of Free software)

Boy, did you come to the right place. :thumbsup:
Check out the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.

Please take the time to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.
If you have any questions about how to use this site, this forum will probably answer them.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

You will find a lot of practical information here by reading some of the threads in our Forums, or by doing a search for a particular problem you are having. You can also ask for help with a thorny problem in a post. If you care to, please join the HJT training programme---you will learn from some very strong teachers.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users