Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Line Selection Control - Best I Can Do

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 redoak

redoak

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:35 AM

When I click on an up or down arrow on the keyboard or the same in the right scroll bar area, instead of moving by line(s) in smooth fashion, there is a scrolling-like effect. That is very hard on the eyes and difficult to control as to where it stops.

Where do I go within the controls/options available in "XP" so that I can rid myself of this annoyance and obtain the usual, simple line by line movement? I can't find the answer in the options available with the Synaptics Pointing Device pad on my laptop. Is it there some place that I have missed?

Many thanks, {redoak}

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 01 October 2007 - 08:21 AM.

I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

In control Panel> keyboard. there are adjustments for repeat rate and repeat delay. If those are set to maximum to some changes there and see if that helps
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi redoak.

Turn On or Turn Off Smooth Scrolling (in XP)

I prefer to disable all those slide-open drop-down boxes and those other nonsense "eye candy" that XP enables by default:

Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance: Settings button > click "Adjust for Best Performance"

Now, turn back on just "Show windows contents while dragging" and "Use visual styles on windows and buttons". I think you will like the snappier response that XP will now use.

Edited by WinCrazy, 01 October 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#4 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

Thanks to both of you for responding.

Unfortunately for me, none of the suggested alterations has eliminated what I consider an annoying phenomenon. Actually using "smooth scrolling" is more troublesome than not using it. The scroll runs away for multiple lines, at least it does with me.

My memory may be at fault, but I recall that on my previous computer, which also had "XP Pro" as the OS, when I tapped an arrow key just one line up or down occurred without any "flicker." [Here again I am at a loss for a descriptive word.] If I held the key down, multiple lines passed by until I released the key. I am using the same browser(s), too.

{redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

Suggestions off the top of my head, if possible try a different keyboard. Try removing it from Device Manager and reboot and let Windows re-detect it. If it's a special keyboard (multi-media) that came with a CD, reinstall that, If it's a USB connection, try a different plug.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like the proper video card/chip driver has reverted back to a basic XP default driver that's not very efficient which causes lags and jumps. Try installing the most up-to-date driver.

If you don't know what make and model of the video adapter, right-click on the Desktop, select Properties, click the Settings tab, and read the info from the Display text box. For instance, mine says "1. Plug and Play Monitor on mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express". This happens to be a built-in video adapter. All these adapters share the same driver from Intel. Whatever company is shown on yours, go to their site and download and install their driver. It certainly won't hurt your PC doing this.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

This is possibly a resource issue similar to the one in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110384/send-to-button-freezes-computer/ Typically, as laptops get older, Windows gets clogged up with a lot of stuff (called "Windows bloat") and doesn't respond like it used to.

I'd suggest following the steps from the other post to find out what's running that's taking up your resources.

Try opening up Task Manager and then the Processes tab.
Click on View, then on Select Columns
Then check the box that says "IO Reads" and click OK to close the dialog

Resize the Task Manager window so you can see the most of it and can still see an icon to right click on (In your case, it's leaving enough of of a window visible so you can scroll and see the lag with it).
Then right click on something and select "Send To" - look for any unexpected jumps in the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns. If something stands out, let us know and we can work on fixing it. If not, then let us know anyway and we can look at other things.

If this is happening in IE7, try running it from the Run dialog by typing "iexplore.exe -extoff" (without the quotes) and see if that helps. If so, then it's an add-on for IE that's causing the issue there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions and clear instructions. I will follow through by not later than tomorrow. Please "hang around" for my report.

My computer is only one month old. It is an Asus Z84J laptop. It has an 80 GB HDD and 1024 MB of RAM. The "C" partition (OS + programs) has only 7300 MB out of an available 25,000 MB on it. The data files partition ("F") has only 2000 MB out of 25,000 available. The processor is an Intel "Core 2 Duo Core" @ 1.66. The OS is "XP Pro."

{redoak}

#9 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:14 AM

All is now well!! I installed the driver for the Video controller (NVIDIA), which somehow wasn't done by Asus. I knew that this was "hanging over my head" for a month now but didn't know the effect of its absence. The mention of "Video" in a suggestion above made me go to the Asus site and download the driver.

Many thanks to all who responded!

{redoak}

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

Because everything that you do on the computer is linked to the video, it's a very important component. Even if you're just copying data or playing a game - you can't tell what you're doing without the video.

Video especially affects hibernation, standby, and even Fast User Switching.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users