Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Turns White

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 neuroticsquirrel

neuroticsquirrel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

Of course this problem would happen to me in Japan where I'm not able to go up to a computer store and casually ask someone what it could be. (My language skills aren't really up to par.)

My computer will start up like normal for the first few seconds or minutes - it changes each time. Then the screen will just turn all white and sparkly. The whiteness just sort of wipes across the screen and stays. It's rather pretty. But I need to work! I think its a problem with the screen itself because I'm fairly certain that whatever program I was running before continues to run just fine. But I can't see it because the screen is white. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Or what I could do? Please help!

Thank you for your time.

-Shirley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:42 AM

Is this on a laptop? If not, remove the power from the screen alone for a while, then turn it on again & see if it comes good. If it does, that proves the monitor is at fault, & may give you time to safely shut Windows down. If it's a laptop, proving the cause becomes a little more complex.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 neuroticsquirrel

neuroticsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:52 AM

It is a laptop indeed. But it works now! I turned off the computer, pushed on the screen experimentally, and heard a popping noise. When I started it again, everything was working fine! Yay!
I hope this is not temporary. But the computer has been on fairly long now without any problems.
Thanks for your reply!
-Shirley

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

Popping noise? Bad connection bad, backlight, cross your fingers and be prepared
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

I agree with Mark, Save to floppy or cd diligently in case it goes paws up on you at an inconvenient time.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Keep your eye out for a cheap monitor to use in case the display does go. Also, familiarize yourself with how to switch to the external monitor before the screen gives out on you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 neuroticsquirrel

neuroticsquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:34 AM

Yup my monitor turned white again (its working now though) so I'm thinking I'll have to take it in eventually. Backing up my data now. What do you mean, switch to the external monitor?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

Most laptops have a VGA connector to run an external monitor. If the fault is in the LCD panel on your computer, rather than in its video circuitry, you could temporarily take advantage of this to avoid having to try to organise repairs right now, if you can get to borrow a monitor or buy a cheap one. But to set it up with your desktop etc on the external monitor, you need to have the laptop screen working for a while.

Edited by Platypus, 02 October 2007 - 07:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users