Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Xp And Updates Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiok

tsukiok

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

A week or so ago, I reinstalled Win. XP onto this refurbished Dell Latitude D820 laptop. I had to activate it by phone because it wouldn't connect to the Internet.
I've tried installing all the windows updates, but it continually fails. I'm not sure what updates it manages to install, but I've had to reinstall the computer a few times. (Just checked, about 70 more updates to go).

Also, a couple days ago, I noticed that my computer had created a new "Local Area Connection 2"...it was listed as Microsoft Plug and Play or something like that, and vanished when I restarted my computer.

My computer has become very slow in the process, and it won't check the HDD for bad sectors and it won't defrag. all the way.

Any ideas?

BTW: I got the laptop in January. It's not even a year old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:31 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time that the updates fail to install.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:41 AM

Hi tsukiok

I've tried installing all the windows updates, but it continually fails. I'm not sure what updates it manages to install, but I've had to reinstall the computer a few times. (Just checked, about 70 more updates to go).

If you run WindowsXP Repair Install, access HERE(Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation) to fix your Windows Update problem.

See also:
Stealth Windows Update Prevents XP Repair, from Windows Secrets.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

If you did a repair installation rather than a fresh/clean install, then you're not the only one who has this problem. This MS Article tells you how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

#5 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

It's all working now! Many thanks, y'all! :thumbsup:

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Can you tell us how you fixed it so that others with the same problem can benefit from your experiences?

#7 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

I used Method 1 offered by the microsoft site link y'all sent me.
:thumbsup:
Many thanks, again.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

groovy man.Posted Image

#9 rjwin1967

rjwin1967

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

My computer wouldn't download updates, then when it did, wouldn't install them. From this site I found links to an article that explained why. Basically, I had problems with a message constantly coming up asking to install the 'Status' disk. Trying to cure it, I finally reinstalled XP home again. This didn't work. What did was another link from this site that directed me to download a missing .dll file. http://www.dll-files.com/ Once installed, the message stopped. My installer still wouldn't download. I found out that Microsoft sent out a stealth update last year. Reinstalling Windows XP failed to register some .dll files. To correct this, I clicked on start / run and entered "%windr%\softwaredistribution" without the quotation marks in the command line and hit OK. This took me to the C\WINDOWS\Softwaredistribution folder. I deleted the contents of the DataStore folder. I did not delete the log folder contained inside, just its contents. I rebooted. I went to Start /run again and entered the following commands in the command line one at a time, hitting the OK button after each.
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

This registered the .dll files. This is sort of over simplified, but it's easier to understand for someone less computer savy
like me.
Here's the link to the Windows Secrets article that explains it a lot better than I ever could.

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2007/09/27/0...vents-xp-repair

I would have never found any of this without help from members on this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users