Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Stopped After System Recovery/cannot Boot Normally

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mmikep

mmikep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I have been facing this for quite a few daYs already.

Initial symptom:

-Windows explorer(deskstop) just don't appear when i boot up my notebook
-in task manager when i run the program for scan, found the messages below
:-affected C:\toole.exe
Trojan:win32/startpage.gen!C

so i browse thru windows vista and went to perform system recovery.
picked a date that is one week earlier before downloading any program from web, earlier than this tool.exe being downloaded(chinese support software)

pick a restore point and perform restore..when it's completed, my notebook rebooted and always showing this messsage
"Setting to System Recovery Environment Please wait a moment" for many hours but no response.

and i tried to enter into windows vista again using safemode...checked and found everything inside is cleared without any previous files kept...could have picked the wrong items to recover as my recovery option has system windows vista, etc...

anyone can help with this problem?just run out of ideas aleady:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:04 AM

System restore or system recovery. Two very different things..

System restore will bring your PC back in time without loosing any saved files and stuff. System recovery will bring back your nb to factory settings loosing every piece of info in your Nb.

I recommend a recovery to wipe it clean and back to factory settings, to make sure the nb is clean...

You can always get a Hijackthis log and post it here to get it cleaned.

Eather one you chose I will recommend reading this to make sure it doesn't happen again. Most of the times a pc/nb gets infected is cause you open/clicked/etc on something.

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users